• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help programming newly purchased radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorosaurus

I bought some radios on ebay that include programming for free. I thought it would be a good idea to have the guy program them, then I can clone that to my current radios. Seems like an easier way to get into programming them, that way I can see what a properly programmed one looks like in the RSS.

Anyways, he sent me this form, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how I should program it. The radios are VHF, and I will be using them on the itinerant business frequencies.

I'm assuming I'm going to want narrow band on all of them? I'm wanting to maximize range, and I keep hearing that narrow band is better in that regard.

Scan and tone I don't know about at all. Hoping you guys can give me some advice on those.

I was also going to program the remaining channels (looks like there are only 7 itinerants on VHF) to the MURS frequencies, so I can play with them while waiting for my itinerant license to get approved. That would still leave four channels free, so I welcome any suggestions about what to do with those.

clbsquared

Narrowband on all of them. That won't do anything for range, but you're required to be narrowband unless you have an exemption. And it's not likely that you would be approved for an exemption under a vhf itenerant license.

Put all of them in a scan list and make sure he assigns a scan button so you can turn it on and off.

The PL Tone or DPL Tone is a "private line" so to speak. The radio will only unmute if the correct tone is recieved. Really doesnt matter what he uses. He'll know best (hopefully). It's not encryption or a security in any form. It just minimizes the radio to hear only radios programmed with that tone.

Put your local public safety channels in the other four if they are vhf analog systems. Or put NOAA in the other 4 but leave them out of the scan list. Otherwise it will just stop every time it gets to the channels broadcasting the weather.

thorosaurus

Narrowband on all of them. That won't do anything for range, but you're required to be narrowband unless you have an exemption. And it's not likely that you would be approved for an exemption under a vhf itenerant license.

Put all of them in a scan list and make sure he assigns a scan button so you can turn it on and off.

The PL Tone or DPL Tone is a "private line" so to speak. The radio will only unmute if the correct tone is recieved. Really doesnt matter what he uses. He'll know best (hopefully). It's not encryption or a security in any form. It just minimizes the radio to hear only radios programmed with that tone.

Put your local public safety channels in the other four if they are vhf analog systems. Or put NOAA in the other 4 but leave them out of the scan list. Otherwise it will just stop every time it gets to the channels broadcasting the weather.
Okay, how does this sound...

Channels 1-7 program to itinerants with tone and scan.

Channels 8-12 program to MURS frequencies without tone (so I can talk to locals with Baofengs), but with scan on.

Channels 13-16 program to receive only on safety channels, no tone, no scan.

Is that the gist of it?

clbsquared

If you’re receiving public safety channels, you will want to use the tone. Otherwise you’ll hear any and all interference from that frequency or any other agency close to you on the same frequency.

clbsquared

What makes talking to Baofeng users any different than talking to a user of a different brand? If the frequency and tone are the same, why does brand matter?

thorosaurus

What makes talking to Baofeng users any different than talking to a user of a different brand? If the frequency and tone are the same, why does brand matter?
I'm not sure I'm understanding the concept of tone correctly. Doesn't it have to be coordinated? That is, if I add tones to the MURS frequencies, won't that prevent me from being able to talk to someone who isn't using that same tone?

ETA: What would happen if I set the MURS frequencies to CSQ?

Last edited:

clbsquared

You would set it to CSQ if you want to hear everything on that frequency. If you know someone else using MURS and they are using a tone, you would need to enter that tone in your tx info to be able to talk to them. Otherwise, unless they’re using CSQ, they won’t hear you. My advice to you is just leave it on CSQ for MURS

mm

One change with MURS 154.57 and 154.60 MHz , they used to be called blue and green dot, these should be programmed for 20 kHz RX bandwidth not 11.25 kHz, similarly the transmitter deviation should be set for wide.

FCC PART 95 e-CFR data is current as of March 26, 2020
§95.2773 MURS authorized bandwidths.

a) The occupied bandwidth of emissions transmitted on the center frequencies 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, and 151.940 MHz must not exceed 11.25 kHz.
(b) The occupied bandwidth of emissions transmitted on the center frequencies 154.570 MHz and 154.600 MHz must not exceed 20.0 kHz.

All pre-programmed murs radios will come programmed like this with wide on 154.57/154.60 MHz.

thorosaurus

One change with MURS 154.57 and 154.60 MHz , they used to be called blue and green dot, these should be programmed for 20 kHz RX bandwidth not 11.25 kHz, similarly the transmitter deviation should be set for wide.

FCC PART 95 e-CFR data is current as of March 26, 2020
§95.2773 MURS authorized bandwidths.

a) The occupied bandwidth of emissions transmitted on the center frequencies 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, and 151.940 MHz must not exceed 11.25 kHz.
(b) The occupied bandwidth of emissions transmitted on the center frequencies 154.570 MHz and 154.600 MHz must not exceed 20.0 kHz.

All pre-programmed murs radios will come programmed like this with wide on 154.57/154.60 MHz.
Thanks, good to know. I've been told that wideband has better range, is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.