• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help removing trunk settings - MTX8250

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjohn14

I recently purchased an MTX8250 from a Motorola radio dealer in my local town..
I went online and purchased:

Motorola Trunking Professional Radio CPS - R02.03.00

I can read the radio fine I can program and write all of the conventional side of things fine..

However, when I viewed the trunked side of things I noticed it was fully programmed to connect to a trunked system with ID's and all!

When I tried to remove/reprogram the trunked settings to a null value or any value for that matter CPS would not allow me to make any changes.. In fact most of them are greyed out..

I immediately called the dealer I purchased it from and politely relayed my story.. I asked if they could just remove the trunking info already programmed into the radio.. To my astonishment they said no.. We don't do trunk programming of any kind..

I just want to use this as a conventional radio.. I want no trunking of any sort!

Can someone enlighten me on how to remove the trunking info??

I don't want this thing trying to connect to any trunked system = NOT GOOD!

Thanks in advance for any help gentleman!

- G

fineshot1

In order to add, change or remove any trunking parameters you need
a cps programing key. Without it those fields will remain greyed out
and not allow you access. The key is obtained from motorola when a
trunk system is purchased from motorola. But in order to only remove
trunking parameters any key(from any moto trunk system) should work.

The trick for you will be finding one as most trunk system admins do not
give them out for security reasons.

I think there may be key generators somewhere online but I have no info on
that. If you find one it may help you out with your problem.

Good luck...

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
it has to have 1 trunk system in the CPS, even if it is an invalid one. as long as you do not have one of the talkgroups assigned to a channel slot in a zone, then your radio is ignoring that TG and that system.

first double check your scan list and make sure they are set to conventional. next you can delete any channels in any zone that show as trunked. then delete all but 1 trunked personality then delete all but 1 trunked system. the delete button is at the bottom of each personality/system window. program and you are good to go as a conventional only unit. i just verified this information on one of my archives, you cannot take all trunk systems/personalities out but if they are not in the Z/C list they are not usable and are ignored.

fineshot1

it has to have 1 trunk system in the CPS, even if it is an invalid one.

Sorry dave - thats not true anymore. That does hold true with some of the older rss trunk
radios such as a maxtrac but with the newer cps software you can remove the last trunk
system personality and replace it with a default trunk system personality which is the same
way the radio comes new with default programing.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
not without a system key loaded, i JUST did it. it will let you delete all but 1 whether you have keys or not.

edit: scratch that, we are saying the same thing. it has to have 1 trunked system even if it is just the default. you add in the default trunk system(which if your current system shows 0001 it is the default) then add another trunk pers and assign it to the default system, then delete the trunk pers for the original, then delete the trunk sys for the original. but like i said, if it ain't out in the Z/C list it ain't usable anyway and the radio will never switch to the system even if it is a valid one. most likely he is seeing the default system though.

Last edited:

fineshot1

not without a system key loaded, i JUST did it. it will let you delete all but 1 whether you have keys or not.

edit: scratch that, we are saying the same thing. it has to have 1 trunked system even if it is just the default. you add in the default trunk system(which if your current system shows 0001 it is the default) then add another trunk pers and assign it to the default system, then delete the trunk pers for the original, then delete the trunk sys for the original. but like i said, if it ain't out in the Z/C list it ain't usable anyway and the radio will never switch to the system even if it is a valid one. most likely he is seeing the default system though.

Ha - you beat me too it. I was just gonna respond with exactly what you say above.

gjohn14

Thank you all..

All of your responses were very helpful and I think I know what to do now based on the detail and accuracy of all of your replys..

What a great forum and even greater group of guys and responses!

This place is a keeper!

Thanks again,

- George

Status
Not open for further replies.