Need help setting up spare PC as media server

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am looking to use an extra HP ProDesk PC, 16GB RAM 2TB SSD i7 6700 as a SIMPLE media server. I will lay out the scenario. I am now using an external (in a case) 2TB spinning HDD as a storage drive for all my videos/pictures/artwork....when I want to see for example one of my vacation videos or photos, I simply plug in this into the usb port on one of my PC's. But it would seem easier to somehow hook this up to my home network, so I can access it from ANY computer in the house. Only looking to do this locally and not share outside the home network. Basically as a convenience so I dont have to keep attaching and re attaching the external drive.
I watched some videos on Youtube, but they were not helpful. I dont care about vm ware, virtual machines or any of that stuff. I just want to use an extra PC, which is very small and I can keep right next to router, and be able to access it from the PC's upstairs. I am CLUELESS with anything networking. It is too complicated for me so I need STEP BY STEP help.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You may want to take a look at this...
It is free for home use...

I tried using FreeNAS but dont understand what to do...too confusing to set up. And when I did get it set up, I was able to access the drive from another PC but drive appeared EMPTY! So I probably did something wrong.

mmisk

My ASUS router has two USB ports.
I have an SSD plugged into one of the ports, and I can easily access files from any computer on my home network.
This is a simple method of providing access to online storage, and you can password control the access.
The only drawback is, the file transfer seems somewhat slow, however in my case it is not that much of an issue.

RT48

My ASUS router has two USB ports.
I have an SSD plugged into one of the ports, and I can easily access files from any computer on my home network.
This is a simple method of providing access to online storage, and you can password control the access.
The only drawback is, the file transfer seems somewhat slow, however in my case it is not that much of an issue.
I have the same setup except I have a hard drive instead of SSD. However, after reading this thread about Asus routers and Samba, I am seriously considering getting a true NAS.