Need help to reprogram for NC Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

macgyver92

I have a Uniden BCD996XT that my mom likes to use to listen to the police, EMS, etc. Her old police scanner broke so my parents got this. Few weeks/months ago, something happen and we can no longer hear anything out of it. It was working where we can hear people talking. But something happen and its silent. I know the scanner still works because i have been able to pick up FM broadcasts and WX. I probably made it worse by tinkering with it. At this point, I really need some help. Getting very frustrated with it. I don't even understand all of this which makes it even worse. I have deleted all the sites under NC Viper and created a new one and put in new frequencies i found (links below to what did) which i probably should not have done.

Can someone just give me a step by step instructions so it will work with NC Viper.
I don't understand all of this, i'm like other consumers, i just want it to work. I tried youtube, searching online and nothing. Understood few things by tinkering. Right now the scanner doing a service search (which i do not know how to stop). It searches from CB, FM, Custom, Rail, etc. I have manage to figure how to make it stop for a while on NC Viper but says 'Nothing to Scan.'

Also, as a note, i been doing this manually. I have not connected this to a computer.

Ps. saw on youtube how the scanner changed colors for police, fire. I would like to do this extra thing for her. how do i do this? If it is not too much trouble to get my first problem solve, hear NC Viper again.

Some of the frequencies i have done came from this page.
Sampson County Sampson County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
City of Fayettville City of Fayetteville Trunking System, Fayetteville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Thank you for any help and advice. Sorry for the small rants. I am getting very tired of it not know/understanding everything.
macgyver92

teufler

freescan sampson cty

I take it you have a computer that you can hook up to the scanner. At least I hope. This is a Freescan 2.17 file that has Sampson and Cumberland and Fayetteville andother towns around your area. You will probably want to go into Freescan an change the quick key assignments.

Attachments

• sampson nc.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 162

teufler

I read further in your post, colors and alerts and the volumes on alert tones can be set in Freescan, by frequency entry. I noticed you have not hooked to a computer yet, gee this will be hard work if you are not able too. If you have an older computer with a serial port, you are in luck as the cables Uniden was sending out were an older design. If all you have is usb ports, you will have to either get the usb cable, about $15.00 or a usb to serial port converter. There are seasons to keep old computers and this is 1 of them. Any further questions you can pm me .

JohnDistai

I have the same issue with my 996xt and 396xt. I am an utter novice at programming. Does anyone have an updated Freescan file for the Wake and Durham County areas? They rebanded recently, and while I'm trying to follow the instructions, I have no confidence in what I'm doing.

If anyone has an updated Freescan file for these areas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Barnes13

Same here as far as rutherford county is concerned I've been scanning for days still no traffic. I've imported from rr using freescan. I can pick up Burke county. I'm wondering if I need a special band plan if so can anyone help with that and I've looked at the rr pages on viper rebanding it makes no sense to me. And I only have one bar on Burke county and five bars on rutherford if anyone is thinking low signal problems.

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
Same here as far as rutherford county is concerned I've been scanning for days still no traffic. I've imported from rr using freescan. I can pick up Burke county. I'm wondering if I need a special band plan if so can anyone help with that and I've looked at the rr pages on viper rebanding it makes no sense to me. And I only have one bar on Burke county and five bars on rutherford if anyone is thinking low signal problems.

As far as hearing Rutherford co on viper there will be very little traffic. Rutherford still uses vhf. The only Rutherford transmission I have heard is Rutherford CO EM and Rutherford TAC. You should also be able to pick Catawba Co. Hope this helps if you need any more help let me know.

cadilacmuzik

Premium Subscriber
Buncombe County Viper

Hi,

I have been pulling my hair out trying to reprogram my 396xt for VIPER in Buncombe County and the surrounding area. I have good reception on several sites but cannot pick up any traffic while running ID SCAN or ID Search.

I am using Freescan software and have rebanded with a mot custom/rebanded type 2 set up.

Lo Freq | Hi Freq | Step | Offset
851.0250 | 854.0000 | 25.0 | 440
851.0125 | 868.9875 | 25.0 | 0

Does anyone have any insight to this problem. Thanks

hiyudurin

I have the same issue with my 996xt and 396xt. I am an utter novice at programming. Does anyone have an updated Freescan file for the Wake and Durham County areas? They rebanded recently, and while I'm trying to follow the instructions, I have no confidence in what I'm doing.

If anyone has an updated Freescan file for these areas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Try this

Attachments

• Durham-Wake.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.