Need Help! Trying to go Digital but I don't know if my area is Phase 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beldenbilly

Premium Subscriber
I live in Hill County. I pulled up all the frequencies for my county and the signals I'm wanting but this digital scanner stuff is a foreign language to me. Any help would be amazing. I'm trying to figure out what phases the channels are that I want, so I can purchase the correct scanner. Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out what phases the channels are that I want, so I can purchase the correct scanner
It looks like your area is Phase 1, so a Phase 1 scanner will work for now.

I recommend Uniden scanners.

Here is a listing of the latest models:

The top-of-the-line SDS scanners are the best - yet most expensive models.

You can get by with a 996XT , 396XT model.

For future-proofing, the 996P2 and 325P2 will handle future upgrades of the system to phase 2.

Good luck!

Welcome to RR.

Last edited:

beldenbilly

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for the information. I couldn't figure out how to tell if the channels were phase 1 or 2, all I could tell is that they were digital. haha How difficult is it to set up a digital scanner? I've seen where you can hook them up to a computer but I haven't watched any videos yet. Are they like the analog, where you can just type in the frequency or is there more to it?

beldenbilly

Premium Subscriber
I see that the Uniden's are pretty expensive, as is the case with all digital scanners. I'm just looking for an introductory type model, I was looking at the Whistler WS 1065, what are your thoughts of that scanner?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Stick with the Unidens. Ive been scanning for years and have used a mix of uniden and GreCom now Whistlers and have always gone back to Uniden.

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
I would get a homepatrol 2. Phase 2 systems are backwards compatible with phase 1 systems. Phase 1 systems are not backwards compatible with phase 2 systems.

ab5r

I think the key word is "PHASE" 1 or 2. That implies a temporary condition that "may" change at some point. I would suggest a scanner that may work for future changes and possible upgrades! Those already suggested are great radios.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, that's not what is meant at all. Check this article out for more;

In this case, a 'phase' represents a firmware/system level, not anything temporary. There are several Phase 1 systems out there that have been that way for some time and aren't changing....Mike

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the people about getting a Phase 2 capable scanner that way it will serve your future needs plus most of the Phase 2 scanners support other modes such as DMR, NXDN, ProVoice that to my knowledge no Phase 1 scanners can do. I personally own a Uniden BCD 536HP and I am very happy with it and they're cheaper than the SDS 100 and 200s.

Status
Not open for further replies.