Need Help Uniden BCD-536HP - Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CbDxer

Hello, I just purchased this scanner and after doing all the Sentinel Database & Firmware updates I downloaded it into the scanner. For some reason I am not receiving the Nevada Highway Patrol & EOC.

I am not sure if the database never included it or not? When I stream this feed online it's constantly active. Yet on my scanner I get nothing. I have an outside scanner antenna on the roof so reception isn't the issue. I get all the other broadcasts just fine.

The whole point of purchasing this scanner was to listen to this group. If anyone in the Las Vegas area could give me some step by step programming for this model scanner I would appreciate it.

Another thing I noticed is when it loads the database it also starts scanning California & Arizona frequencies with the Nevada ones. Yet I set the range at 50 miles. I tried hitting permanent avoid on some of these but being there are hundreds of these it is taking forever.

Then I don't know if I run an update on the database in a month if it will erase all the avoids I put in.

Is there a specific brand of micro sd cards this model prefers? Just in case I ever wanted to upgrade to a 16gb.As far as using a new card do I just format the new one and plug it in, then load the database from the Sentinel sofware.

I love this scanner but talk about complex.

Thanks for your help!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nevada Highway Patrol appears to operate on this system:
Nevada Shared Radio System Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

It should be loaded and scanned when you put in your location in LV.

If you put in a range of 50 miles, then the scanner will (in essence) draw a circle 100 miles across. Then, it will look at the location/range of all systems (each of those defines a circle, as well) and, if the circle of your location overlaps at all the circle of the system, that system will be selected for scanning.

CbDxer

Uniden BCD536HP

I guess maybe I just didn't realize they were in the database?

Would there be a reason why I am not picking them up on the scanner but I am on the live stream online?

That is what is puzzling me. Thanks for your help

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
The problem I found with listening to NHP on I-15 is both the sites and the departments are plotted to very different locations in Nevada. You are scanning the repeater sites locally but the NHP talk groups are all listed as up by Carson City. Even with the range set to 50 miles you are still 200 miles short. You must turn the NSRS into a favorites list then either change the range to like 400 miles on each department or move the location of the department to the Vegas area. I'm a trucker and have had to do this to every statewide system I travel through. I've even noticed the same is true with smaller systems like San Bernardino County in CA. The talkgroups don't cover the county. You cant hear a SB county deputy while parked next to him in Barstow, but you can hear him talking in barstow when you're in Fontana. my BCT15X doesn't have this problem when downloading from RR but my BCD536HP does when using the database or downloading RR using ARC.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If that is correct, it needs submitted to have the locations corrected.

The problem I found with listening to NHP on I-15 is both the sites and the departments are plotted to very different locations in Nevada. You are scanning the repeater sites locally but the NHP talk groups are all listed as up by Carson City. Even with the range set to 50 miles you are still 200 miles short. You must turn the NSRS into a favorites list then either change the range to like 400 miles on each department or move the location of the department to the Vegas area. I'm a trucker and have had to do this to every statewide system I travel through. I've even noticed the same is true with smaller systems like San Bernardino County in CA. The talkgroups don't cover the county. You cant hear a SB county deputy while parked next to him in Barstow, but you can hear him talking in barstow when you're in Fontana. my BCT15X doesn't have this problem when downloading from RR but my BCD536HP does when using the database or downloading RR using ARC.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
The problem is its thousands of small problems. talkgroups lumped together in groups putting some wrong locations, gps coordinates off by many miles and sometimes stuff like service types being marked wrong. Also what do you do when 2 very different agencies are using the same simplex freq with 2 different PL tones? Stuff like that doesn't really matter on a city size system, but on state trunked system or these huge counties out west it sure does.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
At some point I will be looking at the EDACS system and see what the DB ranges are in there, and try to clean up the talkgroups to be geographically correct, depending on how they list out.

Its a long and tedious process, and I have been out of the area on training with limited internet. I was hoping to play with that system (In UT right now) and see how its working out but weather will be cutting my time short.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The overall system was not centered in the database (we work with a circle, not a square) and the coverage actually ended well north of Vegas. However recentering and increasing the size, it takes it as far was as Fresno, CA. Due to the states shape, that's the fix. I think most of the sites in the database are correct for ranges, but I'll take a gander. The current cicle brings it to the edge of LV.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
PJH, what I did was just make a rectangle that covered the whole state for the talkgroups I wanted and Kept the sites at the locations as they are in the database. It seems to work ok that way so far. I think If the 536 and 436 gained the ability to scan a talkgroup with geolocating off, like the 15x can, the problem would disappear database wide. I appreciate the work you do on the database.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can put a system into a FL and have that FL ignore location for everything in it.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
Upman, the problem with that is doing that to statewide systems like
nevada makes it scan so many freq in the trucked system you then hear almost nothing. I've tried it almost every way I could think of. The way the 15x lets you turn off location for talkgroups but not for sites is a feature that would fix the database so it would work with the nationwide setting on with location on. (editing the database to "ranges" over 125 miles breaks it for the 15x and maybe other scanners because of the max range in the radio. At least the firmware in mine can't handle over 125 miles.)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I agree. However, the original critique was
I think If the 536 and 436 gained the ability to scan a talkgroup with geolocating off, like the 15x can,
, which I was pointing out the scanners already had.

You can also bring the system into a FL and edit the ranges on sites and departments, leaving location control on. Or, if the locations in RRDB are incorrect, you could submit corrected location information so that this issue is resolved for everyone, as mentioned in a post, above.

Status
Not open for further replies.