need help Win 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougr

I am using a USB to 9 pin adapter with my programing cable I think i have the com port. it starts to download from the scanner then stops I get a time out waiting for header any help would be great thank you

n2mdk

Under the serial configuration try checking off Extra Write Time and Enable "Readback" Tests

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
COM, USB or ? cable???

I am using a USB to 9 pin adapter with my programing cable I think i have the com port. it starts to download from the scanner then stops I get a time out waiting for header any help would be great thank you
This sounds interesting. Please clarify the device you are using. It does not sound like a "USB programming cable", as that would go from USB to a plug which goes directly into the scanner.

It sounds like you might be using a "generic" USB to COM port converter, connected to a COM style scanner cable. What makes you think you have told WIN97 the correct port? That message that it "starts to download" does not mean it got to step 1. Step 1 is reading the header!!!

Go to control panel, system, hardware device manager and look at ports. See which port your cable/etc has been assigned. Put that value into WIN97. And as already written, you might need extra write time because of this configuration.

n2mdk

gmclam made me think of another thing exactly which serial programming cable are you using. Radio Shack doesn't sell the correct one anymore and the 20-048 cable doesn't work with the Pro-97

Dougr

I its the old gray cable from radio shack 9 pin. I have vista and when I loaded the usb to 9 pin cable vastia told me its was loaded on com port 8 so I set win97 to com port 8. oh on my older xp desk top my 9 pin radio shack cable works on the scanner but my desk top has a serial port

DonS

When you start a download or upload in Win97, does the scanner's display change? If the correct COM port is selected, it should at least tell you that it's "sending" or "receiving".

jleverin

You need the 20-047 cable, I recently bought a second hand Pro97 and went to my local RS store and had them order one for me and sent directly to my house. You just have to make sure it's in the correct com port, it works fine with the pro97, comes with a driver disc you load into your computer before attempting to program your scanner. RS does still sell them, I even saw one on their website this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.