• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help wiring 5 wire cobra dynamike plus to a 4 pin cobra 78x.

LandonMaxwell

I have a cobra 5 wire dynamike plus mic that was working except I couldn’t be heard with a 4 pin connector. Found out the wires were broke. It has a red white black blue and a bare wire which I’m guessing is a ground. How would I wire that back up to a 4 pin cobra. The bare wire is hooked to the 4th pin

Attachments

• 41FD11DB-F7BE-4968-8C9F-B793AC1D1D92.jpeg
    41FD11DB-F7BE-4968-8C9F-B793AC1D1D92.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 8

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I did a quick search and came up empty on dynomike with 78x. I remember back in the day that on some radios (5 pin to 4 pin) the bare wire tied to the black, and on other radios, the bare and red went together.

There are some old timer cb guys on this site and hopefully will have a solution for you.

slowmover

IMG_4411.jpeg

Found this on a search:

Model: 90, 140gtl, 142gtl,148gtl,2000gtl, 2010 Standard wiring:

1-Audio
2-Shield
3-Receive
4-Switching Wire
5-Transmit

IMG_4409.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Last edited:

slowmover

Food for thought:

Dukes of Hazzard radio sells well. Nice small dimensions. I see it’s lauded for being “loud” a la Connex 3300.

Given eBay prices, one could likely pay for an even smaller sized President Harrison for AM-only. Then add a Digi-Mic & KL203.

Clarity is what cuts thru the hash.
NRC RX is the other half.

IMG_3848.jpeg

FWIW, I key up with my Q5 Anytone and I get more responses on average than men around me running bigger power. (Mobile, big truck).

Yeah, my antenna system is likely better (pretty well a guarantee unless enough large cars are in the vicinity), but it’s the sounds of silence from which my voice arises which garners those responses.

The antenna system on a four wheeler is a piece of cake to get right by contrast.

The base stations running post-2021 integrated NRC radios are obvious.

I have to listen more carefully if I think I’m hearing Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu, as occasionally happens. There’s usually a point where Amateur shows its colors.

In the meantime, the NRC-equipped are relatively closer to that quality than to now-obsolete thru-hole circuitry.

This is about maximizing 78X audio punch?

The 19-yr old with his first-ever CB (NRC) will — all else pretty much the same — be heard “better”.

Put it to the test: AM-19 during mid to late afternoon while mobile. Dual final power level but not more. This year into next it’s an ass-kicking to sort every detail of a mobile system with Skip this heavy.

In a couple more years that 78X will play “okay”, again. Till then, there’s MUCH it can’t filter enough for us to hear, and BIG RADIO audio ain’t all its cracked up to be. Ears have precedence.

Hear — and Get Heard — while on the road as things are going pear-shaped is THE test.

Again . . FWIW.

Last edited:

LandonMaxwell

The radio was gave to me after my grandpa passed. When I got it hooked up it was receiving good but wasn’t transmitting. Took it apart trying to fix that but all of the wires except shield broke off. It was wired up before cause my grandpa used it in his truck for years. I’ve seen that first diagram before but unsure of which wire were which

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The radio was gave to me after my grandpa passed. When I got it hooked up it was receiving good but wasn’t transmitting. Took it apart trying to fix that but all of the wires except shield broke off. It was wired up before cause my grandpa used it in his truck for years. I’ve seen that first diagram before but unsure of which wire were which
Post #3 has all the info you need unless its not a stock mic. If its not stock do you have an ohmmeter? That will tell you what the PTT wire(s) are on the mic and the mic wiring for your radio has already been posted.

slowmover

The 78X is the model attributed most often to the DoH show. Regardless of how you feel about that TV show, I hope you’ll consider having some fun with Cooters sign-on.

Make ol’ granpappy smile.

I recommend this speaker (eBay). It’s $65/new but can be found $12-$20 used. It’s what’s used in fire, ambulance and others of the type.

Damn near hear it, “a mile away”.

This mount location shown is very, very good, you’re in the vehicle or out:

Post in thread '2004 Dodge 2500 27-MHz Radio'
2004 Dodge 2500 27-MHz Radio

Last edited:

LandonMaxwell

Post #3 has all the info you need unless its not a stock mic. If its not stock do you have an ohmmeter? That will tell you what the PTT wire(s) are on the mic and the mic wiring for your radio has already been posted.
The one with the plug connections and the wiring colors right? If so would the screen wire be the shield? Its not the mic that the cb came with originally I’m assuming

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The one with the plug connections and the wiring colors right? If so would the screen wire be the shield? Its not the mic that the cb came with originally I’m assuming
The shield will have no insulation. If its not the stock mic then the colors could be different. That's where the ohmmeter comes in to identify what wire shorts to shield or another wire when the PTT button is pressed. The mic audio is usually clear or white and has the shield around it.

Sometimes a red wire shorts to shield with PTT and sometimes you have a common wire that is shorted another wire during receive then that lifts and and another wire shorts to the same common wire with PTT. Does this radio receive when the mic is not plugged in or does receive audio go away with the mic unplugged? If it does then you will need 4 wires on the mic plug and all can be identified with an ohmmeter.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Alright that makes sense. I have a ohmmeter I can use this evening. It goes away when unhooking the mic.
Sounds like you will need 4 wires. You can verify the PTT line and receive line by shorting each mic pin to ground. It will be obvious when the radios transmits and when the speaker comes alive. That will tell you if the posted pinout fits your radio. You can then use the ohmmeter to verify which pin is ground (with radio turned off) then the remaining pin should be mic audio which you can test by touching the pin with a small screwdriver during transmit and it should put a hum on the transmit signal.

LandonMaxwell

I compared the diagram of the radio to the ca-51 mic and ended up getting it to work. Took and wired the extra blue comm wire to the shield wire. Only problem now is the meter on the radio doesn’t work. But I can receive and transmit now