• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with antennas and ground plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyPr

I have a 2005 Freightliner Coronado and just purchased 2 Predator 10K antennas. I was told by the store to use just a single antenna on the driverside. I ran new coax to the driverside antenna since the old set-up was for 2 or co-phased. Hooked the antenna to a mirror mount with a Fire-stick stud . Thinking I'm on my way, I checked my SWR's and it was over 3. So I started looking for connection problems. When I couldn't find any thing, I just happened to open the door and saw the SWR drop to 1 with it open about 2". I was confused about this and started to research and found that the problem might be a no ground plane issue since the cab is all fiberglass. But why am I getting great SWR's with the door open? is this a no ground plane problem? Would it help to go back to a co-phased with both antennas? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

methusaleh

Not necessarily a ground plane issue (though that would be part of the problem with antenna performance), but rather I am imagining the mount may not be electrically grounded properly. And when you open the door, some metal makes contact with other metal and improves the electrical ground.

LtDoc

The first question is did you tune that antenna? They all require it you know. By opning the door you changed the electrical characteristics (reactance) present -around- that antenna. That will certainly make the SWR change, among other things.
- 'Doc

jfhtm350

I drove a Freightliner Columbia and i can tell you that the factory coax that goes to both antennas are trash. The swr's with the stock antennas are not even close to where they should be. They must just install them on there and there you go. (Yours could be different but i doubt it). I used a Firestick with an adjustable tip and 18 feet of coax that i bought. I have my own swr meter and know how to tune it so i done that myself. Im thinking i got it down to a 1.5 on Ch19. I have had to run a ground wire from the mirror mounts to a ground somewhere, but not always. I slipseated alot and drove alot of trucks and it seems every truck i drove was different.

Yes when you open the door the swr's will change no matter how you got the antennas tuned good or bad, so you have to tune it with the door closed. Dont tune the antenna next to another truck or a building or it will change when you get away from it. That sounds silly but i know its true.

So i would say run about a 10 gauge ground wire to a good ground somewhere and try that, its not gonna hurt it any, just try to keep it away from your coax.

BillyPr

First, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate all the info i can get. This is all new to me and I'm determined to get it right. I did install RX8 and what a difference from the 58. I did have the door closed but seen the high SWR and was told if was above 3 it must be a connection problem. I did trim a little off the whip maybe 5" in 1" cuts. When I didn't see much of a difference I was baffled. So, I will be going back to work tomorrow and will try the ground wire. Thanks again.

jfhtm350

I never did like trimming and cutting on the whips or any other antenna. You have to be just right when you cut it. If you cut it too short, well you cant add more to it.
A 4' Firestick 2 5/8 wave i believe with adjustable tip is what i use. Everyone you talk to will recommend a different antenna. Dont remember what kind of coax i use but I know i bought it at the Pilot along with the Firestick 10 years ago i guess.

BillyPr

Well, today was a great success. I ran a 12 gauge solid wire and grounded the mirror and the antenna mount. And presto the SWR's came down to 1.1 on channels 1 and 20 then 1.2 on 40. I was lucky to run the ground wire through the mirror frame for a factory look. So thanks again for all the replies it was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.