Need help with audio packet breakups on a Harris P1/P2 trs

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I have 95 Favorite Lists programed in my 536. The P1/P2 scanner works fine on APCO P25 and Motorola trs. Two years ago the VA State Police, Sussex Co. and the state Sussex Maximum prison installed a Harris 700 mhz. trs about 12 air miles from my location where I have a 50 ft. tower with a RF preamped Scantenna. There is no other Harris trs within my monitoring area for comparison. I have a 5 bar signal strength 24/7.

I have NO PROBLEMS receiving any other Motorola trs except this Harris trs. The P1 unencrypted analog transmissions mostly are from the Sussex state prison.

The P1 unencrypted audio transmissions have constant packet data breakups but not to the degree of "motorboating". This trs is like the VA state Motoroloa trs settings which also is a P25 Standard P1 multi-user data packet system comprised of system control, data, and voice comms.

I have tried almost every using ARC536PRO software's conceivable setting options combination to receive consistent "clean" audio without frequent data packet segments being continually interrupting during the dma (analog) process.

The least annoying present settings are:
System = P25 standard
Modulation = NFM
P25 Waiting = 400ms
P25 Threshold Mode = Auto
P25 Threshold = 8

Any helpful comments are appreciated. I'm about to give up dealing with this Harris trs. These settings basically are the same ones I use for my P25 Motorola trs settings. FYI after 20+ years the states of Florida and Pennsylvania finally cancelled their trs contracts with Harris because of recurring unresolved trs problems. I believe subsequently both installed Motorola trs.

John:sick:
W4UVV

W4UVV

Simulcast Distortion May be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
------------
Tnx. for the reply. No, I doubt it. There are 3 transmitter sites. The county Sheriff is maybe 30 miles south; the Va. State Police office tower is what I hear at Waverly, and the third transmitter is at the Greensville state prison about 45 miles south. All sites are connected via PTP links.

In early 2000 Virginia began installation of its' statewide digital system (STARS) which took about 10 years to complete. The system experienced problems which included going "robotic". which was sourced to the atd to dma conversion process, and related to the packet data segment timing issues. There also were continuous simultaneous occasions of voice comms, system control data and mdt activity. The voice data packets were being interrupted by the other whatever system user was occurring also at that moment., i.,e., microsecond. The techs finally got it working correctly. This situation reminds me of that past issue with the state STARS system.

While scanning this system I noticed frequently the "DAT" icon display indictating there is a data transmission also occurring. When there is a voice comm, all of the selected talkgroup user data displayed i.e., UID, talkgroup no., etc.The analog voice sounds as you might expect from inside a prison including "mic swallowing" and slurred speech, but is negatively impacted with the audio being interrupted. The state police rarely use the system which was designed primarily for emergency comms at the two prisons. The county decided it was a good way and much cheaper to get on line with a digital trs. The county encrypted all comms except fire and ems. That leaves only the prison comms.

John
W4UVV

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Look up CQPSK modulation.. Phase 2 is Linear simulcast where Phase 1 is C4FM.. This is why the Unication G4 pagers work so well, They are I Q type receivers where the 536 is just FM.. It has nothing to do with the brand of system, motorola P2 systems work the same

W4UVV

Look up CQPSK modulation.. Phase 2 is Linear simulcast where Phase 1 is C4FM.. This is why the Unication G4 pagers work so well, They are I Q type receivers where the 536 is just FM.. It has nothing to do with the brand of system, motorola P2 systems work the same
-----
dcr_inc,

Tnx for replying.......or said another way....."You are ......!" Correct?

John:sick:
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.