Need help with buying a Router.

bharvey2

As noted above, the computer and the scanner can't have the same IP address. The subnet mask and gateway will be the same however. If you can't find a default user name and password for your model on the internet you could do the following but it's possible there may be trouble in the future.

If you can't get into the router and need to wing it, I'd suggest the following.

Since you only have a few devices on the network (two computers and two phones) Perform the same ipconfig command on both of the computers and get the IP addresses for each of the wireless adapters. I'm going to guess that the lowest address will be your computer at 192.168.0.50 (you're only concerned with the last group of numbers. In this case, it's 50. Useable numbers on the network for address will range from 1-254. Your router uses 1 so that can't be used. Assuming your DHCP range starts at 50 and goes up from there, you'll need to pick a lower number outside of that range (as an example 192.168.0.45) On a working computer, open the CMD windo and ping it. If nothing is using that address, you screen will look something like this:
1664402469113.png

If the address is unused, you'd change your scanner IP settings to:

LAN Mode Manual
IP Address 192.168.0.45
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Save it to the scanner and reboot it. Next, you'd have to get the scanner connected to the router. Maybe just move it next to your router for a quick test to make sure everything is working. The first test would be to try to ping the new address from your computer. You should get an affirmative response if all is working. If it does, then try Proscan, adjusting for the new IP address. If things look good, then you can figure out how to run a longer cable between your scanner permanent position and your router's permanent position. If you go this router, I'd suggest a lower number. Something between 5 and 25 to make sure you're well clear of the DHCP range.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
As noted above, the computer and the scanner can't have the same IP address. The subnet mask and gateway will be the same however. If you can't find a default user name and password for your model on the internet you could do the following but it's possible there may be trouble in the future.

If you can't get into the router and need to wing it, I'd suggest the following.

Since you only have a few devices on the network (two computers and two phones) Perform the same ipconfig command on both of the computers and get the IP addresses for each of the wireless adapters. I'm going to guess that the lowest address will be your computer at 192.168.0.50 (you're only concerned with the last group of numbers. In this case, it's 50. Useable numbers on the network for address will range from 1-254. Your router uses 1 so that can't be used. Assuming your DHCP range starts at 50 and goes up from there, you'll need to pick a lower number outside of that range (as an example 192.168.0.45) On a working computer, open the CMD windo and ping it. If nothing is using that address, you screen will look something like this:
View attachment 128647

If the address is unused, you'd change your scanner IP settings to:

LAN Mode Manual
IP Address 192.168.0.45
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Save it to the scanner and reboot it. Next, you'd have to get the scanner connected to the router. Maybe just move it next to your router for a quick test to make sure everything is working. The first test would be to try to ping the new address from your computer. You should get an affirmative response if all is working. If it does, then try Proscan, adjusting for the new IP address. If things look good, then you can figure out how to run a longer cable between your scanner permanent position and your router's permanent position. If you go this router, I'd suggest a lower number. Something between 5 and 25 to make sure you're well clear of the DHCP range.

Ok two questions, first should I go to the ISP and have them swap the router with a new one or would that not help? Second I should leave the scanner connected to the router from now on and communication with the scanner will then be through the router instead of direct to the computer?

bharvey2

Were it me, I'd try the solution I mentioned above to confirm that everything is working. Given that you don't have much on the network, the likelihood of an IP conflict is fairly low. With the scanner connected directly to the router and maintaining a static (manually configured address), it would be accessible from the network. At home, I manually assign IP addresses to all of my stationary devices (printers, routers, cameras, etc. ) so that as long as I have a working network, they're accessible. Mobile devices like laptops, phones, etc. and get addresses via DHCP. I'm not sure if that answered your question but that is just my preference.

You could get a replacement modem/router but it may not help you much (other than maybe getting access to the router if your ISP permits it) Other than that, it may just cost you money if nothing is broken. It depends upon how much value you place in access.

Lastly, you could also set up the scanner and the computer with the manual setting that I alluded to early and have a direct connection between the scanner and computer. My main concern with that is that it might get pretty complicated and given that your scanner requires FTP server access, It may prove to be a fools errand.

In short, I'd connect the scanner to the router and get thinks working that way.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Were it me, I'd try the solution I mentioned above to confirm that everything is working. Given that you don't have much on the network, the likelihood of an IP conflict is fairly low. With the scanner connected directly to the router and maintaining a static (manually configured address), it would be accessible from the network. At home, I manually assign IP addresses to all of my stationary devices (printers, routers, cameras, etc. ) so that as long as I have a working network, they're accessible. Mobile devices like laptops, phones, etc. and get addresses via DHCP. I'm not sure if that answered your question but that is just my preference.

You could get a replacement modem/router but it may not help you much (other than maybe getting access to the router if your ISP permits it) Other than that, it may just cost you money if nothing is broken. It depends upon how much value you place in access.

Lastly, you could also set up the scanner and the computer with the manual setting that I alluded to early and have a direct connection between the scanner and computer. My main concern with that is that it might get pretty complicated and given that your scanner requires FTP server access, It may prove to be a fools errand.

In short, I'd connect the scanner to the router and get thinks working that way.
Ok giving it a try now I will let you know how it works out and thanks for all the time you put into helping me!

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Please do. Looking for to hearing you get it working again.
Ok the virtual display is working perfect which allows me to control the scanner from there. My Bose mini speaker is now working again, The History and UID is logging but I have no voice recording and I guess I just need to go through the install instructions again to figure that out. You are an amazing computer tech for sure and I will name my next child after you if I ever have one again lol. Thank you so much I appreciate all you have done. If you ever get to TN look me up and I will buy you lunch.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ok the virtual display is working perfect which allows me to control the scanner from there. My Bose mini speaker is now working again, The History and UID is logging but I have no voice recording and I guess I just need to go through the install instructions again to figure that out. You are an amazing computer tech for sure and I will name my next child after you if I ever have one again lol. Thank you so much I appreciate all you have done. If you ever get to TN look me up and I will buy you lunch.
On the no audio problem, go to the Audio Control - Recorder tab. Ensure that URL is selected then go to the URL Setup button. Verify the IP address matches the scanner IP address. Click the Reconnect button. If any errors showing (always in color Red) then power cycle the scanner.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
On the no audio problem, go to the Audio Control - Recorder tab. Ensure that URL is selected then go to the URL Setup button. Verify the IP address matches the scanner IP address. Click the Reconnect button. If any errors showing (always in color Red) then power cycle the scanner.
Wow back in business you guys are great thanks again to both of you. I have been Jonesing without my Proscan lol.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Oh and thank you to all the others that have helped along my journey I could not have done this without all of you!

RT48

For future reference, connecting the scanner directly to a computer will not work with a standard ethernet cable. You need an ethernet crossover cable for it to work.

bharvey2

For future reference, connecting the scanner directly to a computer will not work with a standard ethernet cable. You need an ethernet crossover cable for it to work.

This was in the back of my mind as well. Many newer ethernet ports accommodate auto MDIX and can hand a direct connection without a crossover cable. I'd guess that the computer's port could get my but wasn't sure about the scanner. I also noted that the scanner wants FTP server access and would lose that unless the computer ethernet adapters were bridged. Connecting everything to the router keeps everything intact.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This was in the back of my mind as well. Many newer ethernet ports accommodate auto MDIX and can hand a direct connection without a crossover cable. I'd guess that the computer's port could get my but wasn't sure about the scanner.
Would it be safe to say that the scanner Ethernet connection supports auto MDIX if the scanner Ethernet orange and green LEDs are on when directly connected to the computer Ethernet port?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Would it be safe to say that the scanner Ethernet connection supports auto MDIX if the scanner Ethernet orange and green LEDs are on when directly connected to the computer Ethernet port?
To answer my own question. It looks like the scanner supports auto MDIX because when the cable is disconnected then ipconfig /all shows the Ethernet adapter disconnected.

bharvey2

To answer my own question. It looks like the scanner supports auto MDIX because when the cable is disconnected then ipconfig /all shows the Ethernet adapter disconnected.

A crossover cable is wired differently than a standard ethernet cable. Think of it like two lanes of traffic. One cable is straight through while the other "crosses over" to account for the direction of traffic. Auto MDIX recognizes that the traffic is going in the wrong direction and switches internally. The orange and green lights indicate the presence of an active connection, whether there is traffic on it and in some instances whether the connect is "fast ethernet" (100mbps) or gigabit ethernet. Uniden may be able to provide you with the specific information on the network ports. By and large, most gigabit ports are all auto MDIX but not all 100mbps ports are.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Are you connecting the computer directly to the scanner via an Ethernet cable?
YES not through the router.

That may be the problem. I never got around to test it that way to see if that config will work.

It works! I got the scanner directly connected to the computer Ethernet port.

Basically I did this:
1. On the computer, I connected the WiFi to the router so the internet traffic is not coming in on the Ethernet adapter.
2. At the cmd prompt (elevated to admin) I ran ipconfig. I noticed the Ethernet Adapter IPv4 address showing 169.254.1.79 for some reason. I think that comes from the scanner.
3. In the scanner menu - Set IP Assignment, set to Manual mode and set the IP address to 169.254.1.80
4. Pinged 169.254.1.80 successfully.
5. In ProScan, set the Comm. Port Settings - URL Setup -Scanner URL to 169.254.1.80.
6. In ProScan, set the Audio Control - Recorder (any service can be used) - URL Setup -Scanner URL to 169.254.1.80.

I haven't got around to testing the FTP server yet but I will.
{edit} The IPv6 address in the ipconfig is not my outside address. I think that comes from the scanner but the scanner firmware doesn't support IPv6.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

bharvey2

The 169.X.X.X address is what shows up when the port is set to DHCP and there is no DHCP server to issue one. On a computer reboot, it's likely the the computer's port address will change to another one o, you'd probably have to reset the scanner again after a computer reboot. The computer network port can be set manually so that it doesn't change and you could set up the scanner accordingly. Doing so would allow the scanner/computer connection to remain stable.

My guess is that with the setup you have currently, the scanner can communicate with the computer but not with the outside world. I noticed tnbound had a listing for FTP. Can you try to get the scanner to do what it needs to do to use the connect to the FTP server? My guess is it would be some type of update routine.

P.S. Don't sweat the IPv6 stuff. It's rarely used.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The 169.X.X.X address is what shows up when the port is set to DHCP and there is no DHCP server to issue one. On a computer reboot, it's likely the the computer's port address will change to another one o, you'd probably have to reset the scanner again after a computer reboot.
I rebooted just now and so far the IP address is the same. I'll keep an eye on it and want be explore DHCP more.

My guess is that with the setup you have currently, the scanner can communicate with the computer but not with the outside world.
True. I never knew the scanner to be accessible from the outside but with ProScan acting as the server, access to the scanner can be from anywhere.

I noticed tnbound had a listing for FTP. Can you try to get the scanner to do what it needs to do to use the connect to the FTP server? My guess is it would be some type of update routine.
The FTP Read & Write Favorites functions are working.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Regarding the scanner directly connected to the computer Ethernet port:
I was able to disable DHCP and change the Ethernet adapter IP address.

Untitled.png