Need help with CHP scanning equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

havasuking

Hey guys and gals,

I just joined the group today. I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I am a total amateur when it comes to knowing the proper equipment for my needs.

I do quite a bit of driving on the desert highways patrolled by CHP (California Highway Patrol) aircraft. Of course, I like to safely extend my top speed at my discretion. I'm looking for a scanner that can monitor the CHP communications between air and ground units.

Do I need analog, digital, trunked, non-trunked? I have no idea what type of equipment I need to purchase. If any of you can provide information, I would appreciate it. And if any of you know of the specific frequencies the air and ground units work on, that would be helpful too!

My out-of-town driving mostly consists of taking the I-8 from San Diego eastbound towards El Centro, I-40 from Barstow eastbound to Havasu, I-15 from Riverside northbound to Vegas and I-5 from Los Angeles northbound to I-580 (SF Bay).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and I look forward to being a member of these forums.

kilowa22

You need a analog digital scanner that receives the 40 MHz & 154 MHz range. The most important thing is the antenna. For the best reception in those bands you need an outside mobile antenna. Here is a Ham radio mobile antenna you can use to monitor those frequencies.
Comet SB14 Mobile Antenna

If you get the Uniden Beartracker scanner they automatically support state police frequency with pre programmed states. IE. in a radio menu you select california and the scanner scans the CHP channels for you.
See the BCT15X, BCT8 and BC 355C.

Uniden Bearcat BC355C Scanner BC-355C

Uniden Bearcat BCT8 Scanner BCT-8

Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Scanner BCT-15X

RadioDaze

Keep in mind that CHP has been undergoing some frequency reassignments. That means that a pre-programmed radio is unlikely to be up-to-date since the freq changes are recent and ongoing. But programming the radio yourself should be simple enough.
Department of the Highway Patrol (CHP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Check in on some of the threads in the California Forum that follow the frequency changes:
California Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

You're lucky in that the signals you wish to monitor require fairly inexpensive equipment.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome

I'm looking for a scanner that can monitor the CHP communications between air and ground units.
You will find some communication on VHF low band channels, and some in the aircraft band. I should mention, you won't typically hear them tell you where they are; but you might pick up a speed enforcement activity or routine calls.

Do I need analog, digital, trunked, non-trunked?
I would not get a new scanner that is not at least analog and trunk-tracking. While most areas are on low band VHF, they are using a TRS in the San Diego area.

I have no idea what type of equipment I need to purchase.
CHP monitoring is arguably one of the most interesting topics here on RR. Check out this link and read what has been written in the beginner's guide to listening.

As mentioned, the most important aspect of being able to successfully pick up the CHP is a good antenna designed for low band VHF.

My out-of-town driving mostly consists of taking the I-8 from San Diego eastbound towards El Centro, I-40 from Barstow eastbound to Havasu, I-15 from Riverside northbound to Vegas and I-5 from Los Angeles northbound to I-580 (SF Bay).
If you stay in California, great. But if you happen to venture into Nevada, the situation changes greatly. Nevada HP uses an 800 MHz EDACS system (one reason I suggest you get a trunk tracker).

You will find that the more you learn on this topic, the more questions you will have. There are a lot of issues, some of which have been just touched on already.

N8IAA

Not only trunktracker, but, a digital one. San Diego RCS is mixed mode of Analog and Digital TGID's. CHP is using Digital TG's. In fact most law enforcement on the system is digital, not analog. As has been posted, go to the California forum and ask there:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.