Need help with frequencies

jjsmsalas

I apologize if this is already in a post somewhere but I have a Uniden Bearcat SR30C scanner and what I am trying to do is input some frequencies I found for my County but the frequencies don't look like what I am used. I am going to upload a picture if anyone can give me directions on how to input this I would be greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_172441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_172441_Chrome.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
You will a scanner capable of trunking, EDACS and ProVoice to be able to monitor that system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this is already in a post somewhere but I have a Uniden Bearcat SR30C scanner and what I am trying to do is input some frequencies I found for my County but the frequencies don't look like what I am used. I am going to upload a picture if anyone can give me directions on how to input this I would be greatly appreciate it.
Your scanner is not capable of monitoring trunked systems, nor digital transmissions. For the system Kevin linked, most of the talkgroups are standard EDACS trunked talkgroups, with a small number of them flagged as using ProVoice. Those are noted by a D in the mode column. Those tagged with an A are standard EDACS, ProVoice upgrade not required.
1678506732199.png

The agencies in your area are in the process of moving to this system:

That system is a P25 Phase II system. You will need that capability for any scanner to be used in your area once the changeover is made.

jjsmsalas

Thank you!
Sorry for the delay, but crazy busy and wasn't getting notifications.
So I am sending that scanner back, dug in my pockets for change and ordered this one,

Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V Scanner. 25,000 Dynamically Allocated Channels. Close Call RF Capture Technology. Location-Based Scanning and S.A.M.E. Weather Alert. Compact Size.​

I read in another area on this forum that this scanner would do the trick. Will it?
And what would you all recommend for me to do next?
Again, thank you all.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you!
Sorry for the delay, but crazy busy and wasn't getting notifications.
So I am sending that scanner back, dug in my pockets for change and ordered this one,

Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V Scanner. 25,000 Dynamically Allocated Channels. Close Call RF Capture Technology. Location-Based Scanning and S.A.M.E. Weather Alert. Compact Size.​

I read in another area on this forum that this scanner would do the trick. Will it?
And what would you all recommend for me to do next?
Again, thank you all.
The BCD325P2 is capable of monitoring both the old 'Four County' system, as well as the newer Coastal Bend Regional, once changeover is complete. For the small handful of ProVoice talkgroups, if I were in your area, I would pass on the ProVoice paid upgrade..

The unknown factor (at the moment) is whether or not the sites you need for the newer system will be simulcast, as well as whether that affects you or not. Simulcast Distortion is a problem for many scanners. But it is also extremely location specific. If you are fortunate enough that the site you will need is not simulcast, then great. There's also the possibility that even if it is simulcast, your location is such that it is not an issue. See this thread in the Texas Forum, where I was trying to assist another member dealing with simulcast. More specifically, look at posts 6 and 11, where the member found that a 6" change in position for his 436HP made the difference between working, and not working.

Will you have simulcast issues? And can it be solved fairly simply? No way to tell at the moment. The new system is not fully built out & in full operation. In any event, though, your 325P2 is capable of many more system types than the SR30C. As long as you do not have DMR or NXDN systems of interest, you would not need those upgrades either. And, as long as no DMR or NXDN, you can easily handle programming via FreeSCAN. ProScan is a better long term choice, but FreeSCAN will at least get you started.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

I can attest to comments concerning simulcast issues, where the BCD325P2 might have problems receiving or might not, all depending upon your location. I monitor a simulcast trunked system with a BCD325P2, a SDS100 and a SDS200. I haven’t had all three radios running at the same time, so there’s no “real time” comparisons to be made, but generally speaking, I haven’t had any issues with simulcast where I reside. That’s not to say you will have the same results but let’s hope so. I offer this only to verify that in some cases, a BCD325P2 will perform adequately on a simulcast system. And that poses the question, “How will you know if you experience a simulcast issue if you haven’t a SDS100 or SDS200 (2 radios designed to overcome simulcast problems) to compare to your BCD325P2 reception quality?”

I’ve read you could notice truncated transmissions, where you only hear parts of the transmissions and wonder why your BCD325P2 hears bits and pieces of the audio, or nothing at all… both definitive signs of simulcast distortion. In which case moving the radio a few inches or feet may improve your reception. But like I’ve said, I am one of the fortunate ones not bothered by simulcast and only have what I’ve read from those that are to go by. Here’s hoping you will have the same happy results as I.