• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with GMRS Base Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRDF817

New to GMRS, and radios in general (want to communicate with family and listen to various communications.) I set up a base station using a Midland MXT400 40w radio and a TYT TH-1380 30amp switching power supply (inverter). Ed Fong DBJ-UHF antenna. Rx works fine, as does Tx on all channels (1-7, 15-22) except when attempting to transmit on a repeater (did request and receive permission from the owner). As soon as I attempt to Tx, it trips the GFCI (on a 15AMP circuit breaker) in my garage. I'm guessing that the inverter is overpowering the circuit breaker. If so, what's the fix? Would greatly appreciate any insight to this issue. Sorry for the novice question. Thank you!

bharvey2

While I'm not familiar with that radio, two things come to mind: 1. Your antenna is too close to your power supply and is inducing RF into the house electrical when you transmit and thereby tripping your GFCI. 2. You have "common mode current radiating from you coax shield creating the same problem mentioned in #1. I believe most Ed Fong antennas are J-Poles, an antenna design that often frustrates users because RF radiation is often emitted by the coax itself. This RF can get into places you don't want it to be and cause problems. If you feel you're the least bit handy with a soldering iron, you can make up a 1/4 wave ground plane out of a few pieces of #12 solid copper wire and a SO-239 bulkhead connector for a few dollars and try it. I'd guess that if you did that you problems may go away.

WRDF817

bharvey2 - First, thank you for your quick reply. Interestingly, the antenna IS close to the power supply as I have yet to install it on the roof (this weekend). Same for the coax, as it too is coiled near the power supply. Given your hypothesis, I will troubleshoot the 2 potential problems first, and if that doesn't work, get a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna. Thanks again my friend!!

bharvey2

bharvey2 - First, thank you for your quick reply. Interestingly, the antenna IS close to the power supply as I have yet to install it on the roof (this weekend). Same for the coax, as it too is coiled near the power supply. Given your hypothesis, I will troubleshoot the 2 potential problems first, and if that doesn't work, get a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna. Thanks again my friend!!

Hopefully moving the antenna will resolve your problem. I had a very similar problem when I was testing a 2M ham radio at home several years ago. I stuck a mag mount antenna on top of the metal case of my drill press in the garage. It was only a foot or two away from a GFCI. Every time I keyed up, the GFCI would pop.

Oh and welcome to RR by the way. By and large the members are a nice group of people and you gain a log of knowledge reading the posts and get help when you need it. I see you're in So Cal. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area but find my way down to your area a few times a year. While I have a GMRS license, I don't spend a lot of time on GMRS. Do you have your amateur radio ticket?

WRDF817

Hopefully moving the antenna will resolve your problem. I had a very similar problem when I was testing a 2M ham radio at home several years ago. I stuck a mag mount antenna on top of the metal case of my drill press in the garage. It was only a foot or two away from a GFCI. Every time I keyed up, the GFCI would pop.

Oh and welcome to RR by the way. By and large the members are a nice group of people and you gain a log of knowledge reading the posts and get help when you need it. I see you're in So Cal. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area but find my way down to your area a few times a year. While I have a GMRS license, I don't spend a lot of time on GMRS. Do you have your amateur radio ticket?

You were exactly correct in your assessment!! Yep, I moved the antenna and coax and voila, no GFCI pop. Excellent diagnosis on your part. I just started with GMRS and as I figure it out, I may get my amateur radio license as I suspect it would be far more robust than GMRS. This board has a lot of information and is a great resource - starting with you. Appreciate it.

KC5AKB

Welcome to the fun of radio.
There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and people willing to help.
Ham radio is fun also.

Status
Not open for further replies.