Need help with GRE PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5aoi

I am about to obtain the GRE 600 and I'm am told it can be rebanded. I have a friend that can help me with it. He says he has the software, but needs the firmware. Can anyone help us out?

ScannerSK

Where are you located? What system are you referring to that is re-banding?

If the system is re-banding to P-25 Phase II TDMA then the PSR-600 will not work. The chips soldered inside the scanner are not capable of working with that type of system.

The PSR-800 will work with P-25 Phase II TDMA after a firmware update however the same is NOT true of the PSR-600.

Shawn

N8IAA

Where are you located? What system are you referring to that is re-banding?

If the system is re-banding to P-25 Phase II TDMA then the PSR-600 will not work. The chips soldered inside the scanner are not capable of working with that type of system.

The PSR-800 will work with P-25 Phase II TDMA after a firmware update however the same is NOT true of the PSR-600.

Shawn

Re-banding has nothing to do whether it is a Phase I, or Phase II system. It is strictly a frequency exchange.

The GRE 500/600 scanners do re-banded frequencies straight out of the box. And, no, the 500/600's do not do Phase II.

Firmware upgrades were for DSP issues.

Do not confuse the Phase II firmware upgrade for receiving TDMA transmissions on the 800 with re-banding.
HTH,
Larry

kc5aoi

I'm new to the digital trunking systems and not very up to date on all the changes. I live in Baytown, Texas on the Harris and Chambers County line. I am wanting to monitor Baytown police and emergency services, as well as Chambers County Sheriff and emergency services. What will I need to do to the Gre 600 to make it work? Thanks for any and all help as I work and learn about digital scanners.

lynxrufus

What will I need to do to the Gre 600 to make it work? Thanks for any and all help as I work and learn about digital scanners.

Information on what agency is using what system can be found in the radioreference database.
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

There appear to be two versions of the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) at use in your area. One is a Motorola Type II SmartZone system and the other is Project 25 Phase II. For agencies using the former, the PSR-600 scanner will work (as long as encryption is not being used). You cannot monitor a Project 25 Phase II system with a PSR-600 scanner.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You cannot monitor a Project 25 Phase II system with a PSR-600 scanner.

Or more accurately, you cannot monitor a Phase II talkgroup.

As for programming, I believe you should likely have the correct firmware on the PSR-600 that you are getting. You will need to turn the scanner on and then promptly press 3 before the Welcome Screen goes away to find out your firmware version. The most up-to-date version of the firmware should be CPU 2.1 and DSP 1.4, but I'm fairly certain that most software will accept most older versions of the CPU firmware. It really shouldn't be much more than programming your scanner via a cable.

jrpitcock

A LOT of scanner owners were caught flatfooted in 2013 when TxWARN rebanded their system. Scanners went silent, and a lot of them needed either custom tables set up or to have firmware updates to be compatible with the system. According to the WIKI, this scanner is compatible with the rebanded systems with a firmware update. The GRE support site has been 'under maintenance' for several days so the availability of the firmware, if needed is uncertain. If the scanner has not been updated, then it becomes worthless for monitoring TxWARN in Houston/Harris County.

The OP mentioned listening to Baytown, which is on the TxWARN P-25 system, but is not Phase II.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
All you need to monitor a rebanded system is the T Tables...and that is for a Motorola system. I might be wrong, but I believe the rebanded T Tables customization has been in the PSR-500/600 for quite some time, if not from the first release. A lot of those firmware statements were copied over from other wiki articles where new firmware was needed to put in custom T Tables.

A P25 system should be programed a P25 AUTO TSYS which will pull the needed trunking tables from the control channel. If OP is looking for the P25 system, then rebanding with a PSR-500/600 or Pro-106/197 is as easy as putting in the new control channel and the desired talkgroups.

N8IAA

It appears, in the database, that Harris county has moved to the Phase II system. There are few 'TDMA' TGID's. This indicates that Harris has/is moving to the new system. You might want to sell the 600 and get a scanner that does Phase II.
Larry

ScannerSK

Lamar,

It appears the existing Motorola system is being phased out and everyone is migrating to a new P-25 Phase II TDMA system which the PSR-600 is NOT capable of monitoring. The hardware in the PSR-600 is not compatible with the new system; no software update or firmware update will make the PSR-600 work in your area on the new system.

I would not buy a GRE PSR-600 to monitor Baytown Police or Chambers County as it will never work once everyone has migrated to the new P25 Phase II TDMA system.

Shawn

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Concur With Post 8

I'm new to the digital trunking systems and not very up to date on all the changes. I live in Baytown, Texas on the Harris and Chambers County line. I am wanting to monitor Baytown police and emergency services, as well as Chambers County Sheriff and emergency services. What will I need to do to the Gre 600 to make it work? Thanks for any and all help as I work and learn about digital scanners.

I don't know what programming software you are using or even if you are using any. I reviewed the various talk groups showing "T" in the mode column. Yes, there are more of these showing up on TxWarn P25; however, for the areas you are wanting to hear, I see no "T" modes. I am seeing "D" in the mode column.

Hence, you radio will work on the ones showing "D."

If you are wanting to monitor HPD, there is a Wiki explaining how to do this with your radio.

I currently used Win500 for my programming choice.

Since TxWarn P25 can vary with respect to reception (I have heard Conroe talking at mile marker 179 on IH45), I would certainly look at the various sites in your area by going to "RR locations" directly below the system frequencies. If you click on this, then zoom into the area of interest. Find the various sites associated with your target area & click on them before Import. Note: the total number of site frequencies cannot exceed 32 for your radio.

Not everyone in TxWarn P25 has migrated to Phase II.

When you use Win500, you don't have to worry about rebanding. I don't know about other programming software. If you need more detailed assistance, you can PM me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.