• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help with KPG26D software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm new to this so I apologize if I've posted in the incorrect forum, so my question is this, I purchased a lot of Kenwood TK-353 radios off of ebay, the radio's appear to work fine but they all don't have the same freq's programmed in them and I want to get them all on the same page so to speak. I have the cable to program them with and the KPG26D software and I built a DOS box specifically for the software. Now my problem is this, I put the radio in program mode, light button and c at turn on and get the PC on the screen, in the software menu i choose download from radio and it connects, the red light comes on and I get the progress bar saying it's downloading but as soon as it gets to 100% the program locks up and I get a continuos beep from the pc and have to shut it down and reboot, this happens every single time I try to download from the radio and with certain other options I try to use in the software as well. Can anybody tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it maybe the pc needs to be downgraded to a slower model? I'm using an old Dell Dimmensions 4550 w/ 512mb ram and I think a 2gig processor, I can't imagine the pc would be the problem but maybe the software has an issue with it?

CommJunkie

Since the 26D is old software, be patient waiting for someone to come along that knows how that software works.

If you're in a rush, you could always call Kenwood or a local Kenwood dealer.

Av8tor56

Do you have access to an old Dos machine? I use XP and a Dos emulator for some of the old Dos programs and for the most part but I do have two that won't work at all and one that does almost exactly the same thing. It reads the radio and then locks up but it never will write.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Av8tor56 that's pretty much the answer i was looking for, if someone else is having the problem then i'm betting it's the pc itself. I can put together an old 486 and run the software on that and see what happens.

SCPD

QRT
Just an FYI for anybody that cares, instead of building an old 486 machine to run the KPG-26D software I tried it in a DOS box on my toughbook CF-29 and it works flawlessly. But now I have another question, Does anybody know if there is a way to find out what the password on a radio is if it's not known? I purchased two TK-353 on Ebay and they are password protected, they are old philip morris radios. I recall reading somewhere that the password can be recovered from the radio but I can't find the post anywhere for the life of me. Any chance anybody knows how to do this?

CommJunkie

If you can create a completely new codeplug you *may* be able to write the radio with that and bypass the password.

SCPD

QRT
well I'm not sure what a codeplug is but I did find where I saw about the password file and it say's "If you have ENG level and it is password protected, you can see the password in plain text in the EEPROM map" so my next question should be obvious, anybody know how to get Engineer level access to a TK-353? I know I'm grasping at straws, my next step is to take the radios to my local radio shop that told me they could program all 4 radios for $25 total. Hell ya that's cheap!

SCPD

QRT
Just for giggles I decided to write to the password protected radios with the data saved from another TK-353 and low and behold it worked the password is gone!

pogbobo

that's how it goes with the kenwood LMR radios ... that password is only meant to prevent someone from reading what is already on the radio. you can overwrite it with fresh programming at will

and "codeplug" is a motorola-ism ... just refering to the radio's programming

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Now to answer your question are you sure your homemade cable is good passes data both directions it sounds like when the radio is done it hangs looking for the kissoff from the software. Also the tk353 is a uhf trunking radio it will do conventional but it is a uhf trunking walkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.