Need help with mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

I've got a 536 installed in my pickup and havae been using a mag mount antenna. I want to install a permanent antenna on the roof, but I need something super short to clear my garage. Most everything i listen to is in the 150-160 range. Anyone have any links to something that would work?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Your most economical choice would be an NMO mount and a simple VHF whip. The simple whip (usually about 19") should be flexible enough so that it won't really matter if it is a bit too tall for your garage. The NMO mount will give you the option to easily remove it when necessary and to easily upgrade to a different antenna if circumstances change.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1/4 whip.

There are "compact", "disguise" and similar antennas. They suck. People will try to tell you they don't suck. They do very much suck. You can buy one and give it a try, but make sure you have a trash can close by since you'll want to throw it away after a day or two. Better yet, just send me the money and I'll save you the hassle.

The amount of clearance from the roof of your truck to the obstruction would help, if you can provide that. But as Cheif said, 1/4 wave antennas do just fine. My dad has a 2019 Chevy Silverado 4x4 and a "normal" size two car garage. He stopped on the way home from the dealer and I helped him install the NMO mount and the 1/4 wave antenna. Since day one, that truck has always been in/out of the garage without any issues, no damage to the roof, no damage to the antenna, and no damage to the garage.

ab5r

It's receive only. Why does it have to be on the roof? There are other places to mount.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Sti-co.com flex antenna

These are awesome. I have one on the roof of my Silverado. You tune it to what you want from VHF and higher. They bend like mad and bounce back. I use this because I still want to run my truck through the touch less car wash. It works well.

It is more expensive than a normal 1/4 wave, but they don't break.

Status
Not open for further replies.