• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with motorbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

Hey guys i need help. My local school bus company is switching to a motorbo system because i heard them testing and heard the gurgling noise on my scanner. So i was wondering what is the best radio that is easy to program and is a handheld radio. I also heard that i have to have a access key. Is this true?

Thanks, Dgruber

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Mototrbo reception

You need to know the color code (equivalent to pl or DCS on conventional gear) at the very least. dmr decode can help you find this information if you have a scanner with a discriminator tap. You may also need the RX group list numbers. If it is encrypted, then you might as well not even try.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
First of all, make sure you know that it is MotoTrbo. There are several digital modes that will sound similar.
Second, there currently are no consumer scanners (portable, mobile or base) that will decode MotoTrbo, NXDN, etc.

Access keys are usually only needed for trunked systems, and there are needed to transmit into the system. When there is a consumer scanner available, you won't need it to receive.

There are programs that can run on a computer, take an discriminator tap off the radio, and decode the digital signals, if it isn't encrypted. The other option would be to purchase a transceiver capable of working with whatever digital mode it is, and programming it correctly. The transceivers are not cheap, require programming software and cables, and will not necessarily guarantee reception. You would have to know -exactly- what mode it is before making a purchase.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
As far as the best radio, there are several choices, with Connect Systems having the best price. Hytera makes good hand-helds, but they are not inexpensive. Do a Google for dmr radio for the other makes. Creating a code plug (often called programming) has a learning curve. Motorola software is expensive; Hytera software is reasonable and works well. Some of the others, including Connect Systems have free software, but it may be buggy, especially early versions. A proprietary cable is needed for the brand of radio you select. They can be from a few dollars to expensive (Motorola again).

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Mototrbo is a version of the DMR standard with a few Motorola kinks, and the radios I mentioned are compatible. dPMR. D-Star, and PMR are not the same. I have been using DMR Hytera radios for over two years and have experience with at least three other digital systems including P25 and those mentioned. There are no access keys, but the proper color code is required for transmit or receive.

dgruber

so about the color codes is there like a list to what different color code represents what tone or is it random?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The codes do not represent tones, they are a replacement for tones, like a NAC is used in P25 systems. Each frequency in the code plug has a color code, and the can be the same or different for individual frequencies. There is a box in the software where you select the color code number.

dgruber

oh ok thanks and one more thing do i have to set up the digital contacts if im just going to be receiving only?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
oh ok thanks and one more thing do i have to set up the digital contacts if im just going to be receiving only?

Yes. You need to know the group call ID, time slot, and colour code to get a DMR radio to unmute and pass audio. All or nothing as well either all items listed above are correct, or no audio passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgruber

Oh ya so can I find out all the info I need through dmr decoder to listen to the system?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes DMRDecode will tell you all you need to know.

The important things:
- group code
- timeslot
- colour code
- if Privacy is in use.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Great thread

Can dmr decode tell you the difference if they are using basic or enhanced privacy? Do we have the ability to trunk track TRBO and NXDN as of yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.