• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need help with Motorola GP68

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafiadragon

hi people I have just brought a Motorola GP of eBay, now i have never had a radio like this before, only one like a cheap standard 8 channel pre programmed frequencies radio, i have followed a couple of guides to set up the unit but im having a problem where i constantly get a noise when turned on and the ill PTT and it will go until i release the button, the sound is kind of hard to explain, but every video i see, im the only one getting these noises, if needed ill make a video showing it, but does anyone know what the problem is?

thanks
craig

cmdrwill

Check your programming instructions, the Squelch setting is in the genuine instructions.

mafiadragon

Thank you, sorted.
can someone tell me if there are two types of GP68 as in UHF and VHF?
because I brought a VHF 15cm extended version of the Ariel and the seller is saying there's two versions of that radio, because I got that antenna because it says GP68 under the listing and it does not work on mine.

i can not find a VHF version anywhere, am i right?

W2NJS

No, you're wrong. There were two versions of the GP68, one VHF and one UHF. The customer instruction manual is available online if you don't already have it. The GP68 has no alpha display, only the actual frequency, and the programming setup is a nightmare. I owned both models for a while and sold them both pretty fast.

cmdrwill

GP68 radios are temperamental about the antennas. You need to have the correct antenna to transmit.

There are lot's of antennas out there and even snake oil vendors that say their antenna work. A wrong antenna on your GP68 CAN damage the transmitter.

You did not say for sure if your GP68 IS VHF.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
There are actually a number of GP68 models in VHF and UHF with differing frequency ranges. The stock antennas tend to be junk. You are better off swapping for one from a GP300/P110/HT/EX series, making sure to get one for the right frequency range.

As far as your noise goes, you will hear a tone if you transmit and the battery is low, but it should be short, not continuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.