Need help with my scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

Guys,

I've picked up a Bearcat BCT536HP and I have alot of local stuff around here in it.

The problem is there's a lot of digital stuff and it's not in digital format in the database.

I shot a video, so you all would understand what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kddYXJu1w

Anyone else have a BCT536HP and know how to change the settings either via Sentinel software or via the scanner itself to listen to these digital "jackhammer" signals?

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

K8cpa-chuck

I posted this to a separate thread, but, I could use some help too:

Guys,

I've picked up a Bearcat BCT536HP and I have alot of local stuff around here in it.

The problem is there's a lot of digital stuff and it's not in digital format in the database.

Anyone else have a BCT536HP and know how to change the settings either via Sentinel software or via the scanner itself to listen to these digital "jackhammer" signals?

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

nd5y

A jackhammer sound is probably DMR.
There is presently no digital scanner that will receive it.
If you want to listen to it you would need a discriminator tapped scanner or SDR and external software like DSD to decode it.

K8cpa-chuck

Great so another words its useless, nice to know.

$500 and some change for something it won't even receive what I want to listen to. [emoji35]

Sent from my galaxy s4 using tapatalk and voice to text.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Updates to the database require input from folks like you, who monitor in those areas. As a DB Admin for the entire state of Michigan, I can tell you that we receive very few submissions to update and/or correct entries in the database. So, if there are issues of concern, please use the database submission tool to help made the RadioReference.com database better; which by the way is exactly where Uniden get's it's data from for Sentinel. So now you can see that one directly affects the other.

Regards,

Jerry, W2GLD

I posted this to a separate thread, but, I could use some help too:

Guys,

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

K8cpa-chuck

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is can i from the scanner switch from analog to digital and see which digital system it is while holding a channel in this 536 HP

Vid was unwatchable,Didnt make it past 1.40min...

If you have your conv channels programed...are the set with the proper
CTCSS/DCS?....SQ shouldnt break unless they are preceded by the
codes..

So...If your not liking the 536...Ill happily trade my 996XT.....

K8cpa-chuck

And why pray tell was the video unwatchable I'm curious to know what smart alec answer you have

K8cpa-chuck

Vid was unwatchable,Didnt make it past 1.40min...

If you have your conv channels programed...are the set with the proper
CTCSS/DCS?....SQ shouldnt break unless they are preceded by the
codes..

So...If your not liking the 536...Ill happily trade my 996XT.....

You didn't even watch the video to see what my question even was, so why'd you even bother to reply?

Just sayin' man...

K8cpa-chuck

It's only money

Yeah, it's alot of it, to find out that I cannot pick up stuff that I want to hear. Like some of the digital stuff... Not P25 now, I can hear all of that; I'm talking about on the conventional frequencies that sound like a jackhammer.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yeah, it's alot of it, to find out that I cannot pick up stuff that I want to hear. Like some of the digital stuff... Not P25 now, I can hear all of that; I'm talking about on the conventional frequencies that sound like a jackhammer.
Why would you not research what was in your area before spending $500 on a scanner that will not decode the mode(s) that are mostly used where you live.

DSD will decode DMR, NXDN, and Provoice... you may be better off using a pair of dongles rather than a hardware scanner.

ecps92

Yes, if it is P25
No, if it is some other DMR format

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is can i from the scanner switch from analog to digital and see which digital system it is while holding a channel in this 536 HP

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread cleaned up.

If you can add anything further to help Chuck, please do so. If your just here to criticize, please refrain from posting.

K8cpa-chuck

I went ahead and removed the offending frequencies.

I really only bought this scanner to listen to the local PD and fire (Downriver Mutual) and Detroit PD and Fire. (MPSCS or whatever it's called)

I do also get alot of other neat stuff on those P25 systems. (Michigan State PD and other such stuff...)

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
Great so another words its useless, nice to know.

$500 and some change for something it won't even receive what I want to listen to. [emoji35]

Get your money back and buy better video camera

krokus

Premium Subscriber

As mentioned, DSD or DSD+ will decode DMR. You could use your scanner with that program.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.