Need Help with new purchase please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GMV

I too am evaluating a couple units, I can tell you a couple of the features I like. The ability to set a Priority is an absolute must, I tried the HomePatrol2 LOVE THE TOUCH SCREEN, love the instant replay and record feature right up front. I can tap on a division and it will still scan its sub channels, Or I can hit the channel and it will hold it right there. I can lock it out temp or permanently without having to dig though main menus, Its usability is an A+, and if it had a priority channel mode it would be the best, it is base unit that is rather small but has batteries so you can move it from room to room quite easily. The VHF signals however were poor as well but it scans extremely fast.
I got a Whistler XT2, it is an antiquated clunky system that can pick up more modes than the others, scans a little slower than the others but has a WONDERFUL sound, abilities to set priority channels, LED Colors/modes as well as Volume Boost on channels you select as well. I do not care how slow it takes to boot or upload software on it and if I did not get a config for it I would be in big trouble, if you need to do it yourself get a Home Patrol unit for sure.

Many suggest a handheld unit and is great if you plan to take it with you outside the house but to be honest, the sound from a small speaker is ok if you are within a few feet but beyond that not so great, the HomePatrol2 can follow me room to room with little fear of it tipping over like a hanheld

SO, with all that said, the one unit I did not check out would probably be the best is the
BCD536HP HomePatrol Series Scanner with Wi-Fi
This has the features of the HomePatrol2 not quite as large of a screen but still larger than most, has several of the other desired options, quick replay, record etc and functions like the HP2 but without the touch screen.

I haven't put my hand on this one but now that I have played around with a few I think it would be my top choice followed by the Whistler XT2 or Homepatrol2.
GL, I am not an expert but this was my observations from the past few weeks in evaluating these new scanners.

dlaforett

Premium Subscriber
the bct15x will works great on { uca } Utah communications authority I have a few myself it will get you by a few years before they upgrade the system to p25 phase 2

stingray327

Go with Home Patrol II. I have 4 of them. Have them in cars and base.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

But BUDDRo my scanner does not receive? Oh wait, forgot to turn it on.

talkradio

I went with this one thanks everyone for all of your help & insight with deciding which one and im looking forward to learning more about it from all of you have a great weekend.

IMG-2529

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. Wise choice if you didnt want a mobile.
OP has come to a conclusion with a purchase.
Lets see how long this thread goes on... and on... and...

N7YUO

The scanning here in Salt Lake County has gone through many changes. County fire used to be on 46.06 VHF LO.
At the same time, Salt Lake City and West Valley were on UHF. I think Murray was also UHF. Everything else was VHF HI.

Then, before UCAN (now UCA) various agencies began changing over to 800.
I owned, in order, AOR1000, Pro92, Pro93, Pro95, Then rebanding happened!
I have PSR500, WS1040, Pro164, and Pro197. These are working fine for now, until the next upgrade and then I will have to buy a better digital.

I prefer handhelds because I can take them in my vehicles, or at work, or home.
Digital is necessary if you want to listen to National Parks, Military Bases, Wyoming or Idaho to mention a few.
Also, frequency assignments in VHF HI are different now. They are narrowband, so an old analog scanner won't access the correct freqs.

The beauty of having lots of channels available is that you can have programming available for various areas and activate those when needed.
Example: I don't normally listen to Salt Lake City. But when there is an active shooter there, I activate those channels.
I also keep a bank of wildfire channels.

Buy what you can afford, but don't buy something already obsolete. (My Pro93 and Pro95 still receive, but not narrowband)

Here is a list if scanners available from Whistler. I'm not advertising, and I have no interest in Whistler or any other brand.
WS1040 - Handheld Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I Digital)
Regular price $299.99

WS1065 - Desktop/Mobile Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I Digital)
Regular price $299.99

WS1080 - Digital Handheld Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I and II)
$285.00 Regular price $300.00

WS1095-Digital Desktop/Mobile Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I and II)
$299.99 Regular price $699.95

WS1098-Digital Desktop/Mobile Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I, X2-TDMA and Phase II capabilities)
$330.00 Regular price $370.00

TRX-1 Digital Handheld Scanner Radio (P25 Phase I&II, X2-TDMA, and DMR)
Regular price $559.99
factory refurbished $370.00

TRX-2 Digital Scanner Radio - Mobile/Desktop (P25 Phase I&II, X2-TDMA, and DMR)
Regular price $639.99
factory refurbished $404.00

Status
Not open for further replies.