Need Help with new uniden 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark649

Can someone please assist me I hope. I have had scanners for years and just bought the 996t uniden digital scanner Yikes . Don't have a clue how to program in the frequencies. Tried reading the manuel it came with over and over and still dont get it. Are there any sites on the web or forums or can anyone tell me where I can find easy steps or what should I do to better understand the programming

Many thanks
Mark

Highpockets

Can someone please assist me I hope. I have had scanners for years and just bought the 996t uniden digital scanner Yikes . Don't have a clue how to program in the frequencies. Tried reading the manuel it came with over and over and still dont get it. Are there any sites on the web or forums or can anyone tell me where I can find easy steps or what should I do to better understand the programming

Many thanks
Mark

It helps if you tell us where you are located, state, county, town and what you are trying to listen to, if the system or frequencies are in length, it pays to get software and become a premium member here, makes life allot easier.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
The easy way to do it is to buy or obtain a software program. Load everything into the program and read it to the scanner. It is a much easier way to keep track of everything. I have bc tool and arc, both work good. bc tool was free, paid for arc, not sure why. They both work for the 996t.

WB2UZR

The easy way to do it is to buy or obtain a software program. Load everything into the program and read it to the scanner. It is a much easier way to keep track of everything. I have bc tool and arc, both work good. bc tool was free, paid for arc, not sure why. They both work for the 996t.

Agreed, the software makes life much easier! I use the Butel software for my 996. It pays to learn how to do it the "old fashioned way" as well, helps you to understand the scanner functions better.

Scott/WB2UZR

Airdorn

Just download that FREE software you get from Uniden for the 996T -- there's no good reason to spend even more money to get some 3rd party software.

The software does everything the scanner does, but it is much more intuitive than any kind of system a tiny scanner screen and some weird buttons can offer you.

The 996T doesn't use the old paradigm of hard banks. It's much more flexible and once you have your epiphany you will absolutely love it.

af5rn

Those are crap too. :lol: Download FreeSCAN from www.scannow.org and be on your way.

The learning curve is still going to take you days to figure out, and nobody here can really help you make it any easier. We all went through the same thing. You just have to put in the time until you get it. We can help you with very specific questions, but not just a broad plea to help you program. Sorry, it's just not that easy. Good luck!

maalox

mark i sent you a pm i can explain how to program it manually at first.

Last edited:

Airdorn

That software is crap... He would be MUCH better off with ARC (not free but its the best there is) or Bctool (free).

I disagree. It works well, and its reliable. It doesn't crash. It gets the job done.

I've looked at ARC and some other package and they were nice, but I just couldn't justify the price just so I could DL the RR database and maybe get a slicker interface.

The point was, instead of fighting with a tiny screen and some weird buttons on the scanner, he could get some software -- Uniden, ARC, BCtool, or whatever -- and have a much more enjoyable experience.

With the software (I use the Uniden free UASD), programming becomes FUN, instead of something to dread.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah, but FreeScan and BCTool are freeware, and both have the RR data import, something the UASD doesn't have. And both can import UASD files as a data source.

Everyone to their own, I guess. 73 Mike

mkrubsack

Even though I have several software packages for the 996, I find that lately I have been using bcTool more and more. It's powerful, yet relatively simple to use.

af5rn

Ah, but FreeScan and BCTool are freeware, and both have the RR data import, something the UASD doesn't have. And both can import UASD files as a data source.
Exactly. I wasted only one day with UASD before I remembered that the better programs had RR data import. Went and downloaded FreeSCAN and, sure enough, all my programming woes faded away.

Surprising that Uniden recommends RR in their literature, but doesn't give you a way to interface with it. What Uniden really ought to do is to put in huge bold print in the manual, "DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING TO DO THIS MANUALLY! JUST GET THE SOFTWARE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.