Need Help with Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am in Sacramento County, CA. I can program a radio but a scanner is a whole need breed for me and it's my first. I have a PRO-164 and I need to program the trunking system. I have the all the frequencies (including the the rebanded) 16 in all, and also the talkgroups ids that I want. Correct if I'm wrong, but the scanner does not need the System id programmed? I have tried follow the instructions but it will not except the rebanded frequencies, and when I even enter the current ones it wont let me select MOL for the type of system. I am prepare to order the programming cable and software. Please confirm the cable and software. The current Boot version F1.01 and Appl Version is 1.07 that is in the scanner. Is the PRO-164 not cable of during the rebanded frequencies?

Thanks

N1BHH

In looking at this system Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (Public Safety) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies which I believe is the one you want, I don't see anything on the page mentioning the trunking tables. I would just put in the control channels, set to MO. The first one you enter will tell the rest to set the mode to MO.

Talk groups aren't necessarily needed to be programmed in. I just let the scanner go ahead and scan, when a talk group becomes active, I hit the Trunk key to save the new talk group. After a number of them have been saved I can give them proper tags. You can use Win97 to program, it is excellent and recommended by many. The programming cable is available at Radio Shack. The latest firmware from October 2010 is available online also.

Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 Scanners

RadioShack® USB-PC Interface Cable for GRE Scanner - RadioShack.com

PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento & PRO-164

I am in Sacramento County, CA. I can program a radio but a scanner is a whole need breed for me and it's my first. I have a PRO-164 and I need to program the trunking system. I have the all the frequencies (including the the rebanded) 16 in all, and also the talkgroups ids that I want. Correct if I'm wrong, but the scanner does not need the System id programmed?
Correct. It is not needed.

I have tried follow the instructions but it will not except the rebanded frequencies, and when I even enter the current ones it wont let me select MOL for the type of system.
It sounds like you are programming by hand. If you are programming the rebanded system (Sacramento presently has two system during the switchover period), then you will need software. There is no means to tell the scanner that the system in rebanded from the keypad.

When it comes to entering frequencies, even from the keypad, there is no reason for the scanner to reject one of the Sacramento frequencies. I've programmed these models by hand lots of times. After you program the frequency, select MO as the mode. But even if the mode is already MO, it will take any correct frequency. Are you trying to enter a frequency in the TG viewer/editor?

I am prepare to order the programming cable and software. Please confirm the cable and software. The current Boot version F1.01 and Appl Version is 1.07 that is in the scanner. Is the PRO-164 not cable of during the rebanded frequencies?
The versions do not matter with regard to programming software and the cable. The only time the firmware or boot version matters is when you are updating the firmware.

Thanks guys,

I got the cable and got the software. I was able to download the system through the data base and just added the new frequencies. So far everything is working, won't know if the frequenies will work when they flip the switch.

Correct. It is not needed.

It sounds like you are programming by hand. If you are programming the rebanded system (Sacramento presently has two system during the switchover period), then you will need software. There is no means to tell the scanner that the system in rebanded from the keypad.

When it comes to entering frequencies, even from the keypad, there is no reason for the scanner to reject one of the Sacramento frequencies. I've programmed these models by hand lots of times. After you program the frequency, select MO as the mode. But even if the mode is already MO, it will take any correct frequency. Are you trying to enter a frequency in the TG viewer/editor?

The versions do not matter with regard to programming software and the cable. The only time the firmware or boot version matters is when you are updating the firmware.

When I enter the rebanded frequencies it will accept. It kept saying invalid frequencies. And when I tried to select the type of system by using the current control channels it still wont give me the MO option. But it did with the software.
According to the manual, the rebanded frequncies are listed as cellular phone frequencies.

I am pretty familar with SRRCS system, because part of my job was to support the subscribers equipment.

But thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.