Need help with Pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I'm very new to using a radio scanner. My daughter works with EMS where I live and bought me the Pro 197 for Christmas so I can listen in on their calls. After finally figuring out how to program the darn thing, my problem now is signal. Inside my house using only the extendable antenna that came with it, I get basically no reception at all. I have tried every window, corner, table, outlet etc. The only place at home that I can get reception is outside, on a certain spot on my deck railing!! Well, it's been too cold to just go sit outside and listen. We've purchased 2 different antennas (for the roof) and then found out that they are for uhf/vhf and not fm reception. We've tried an hdtv/fm reception booster with no luck. Before I go purchasing more stuff that won't work, can anyone help me and tell me what I need?

Some details that may help: I"m 35 miles (at least) from her station, they transmit on a motorola 800/900 radios, using a trunking system. I believe the frequency is somewhere around 865.xxxxx.

Hi, I'm very new to using a radio scanner. My daughter works with EMS where I live and bought me the Pro 197 for Christmas so I can listen in on their calls. After finally figuring out how to program the darn thing, my problem now is signal. Inside my house using only the extendable antenna that came with it, I get basically no reception at all. I have tried every window, corner, table, outlet etc. The only place at home that I can get reception is outside, on a certain spot on my deck railing!! Well, it's been too cold to just go sit outside and listen. We've purchased 2 different antennas (for the roof) and then found out that they are for uhf/vhf and not fm reception. We've tried an hdtv/fm reception booster with no luck. Before I go purchasing more stuff that won't work, can anyone help me and tell me what I need?

Some details that may help: I"m 35 miles (at least) from her station, they transmit on a motorola 800/900 radios, using a trunking system. I believe the frequency is somewhere around 865.xxxxx.

What is the State and County you are trying to listen to?; or city that will help us out a little bit.
Welcome to Radio Reference where you will find a lot information and knowledgeable people. Everybody here is very helpful.

Also is the system analog- digital or both analog and digital etc...?

county is Chatham/Effingham

I see the EMS is on digital. Because it is 35 miles away it might be hard to reach usually the farthest you can reach is 25 miles to maybe thirty miles. But there are antennas you can get to help improve that.

You would have to program your scanner as P25 auto and put in the control channels and also the talkgroup your daughter is on.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6694

Last edited:

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
that is foreign talk to me! Sorry to be so ignorant!! Thing is I can pick it up loud and clear at my work (which is about 5 miles farther away from Savannah) and I can pick it up if the scanner is outside! I just need something to pull the signal inside. Will programming as P25 help? and if so, how do I do that??

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
I'll check them out! Do I need to get one that is an fm antenna? We tried a discone one similar to the one in the link and it did nothing. took it down and went bigger (which is still on my roof, until someone can take it down) but was told neither would work because they are for uhf/vhf only. I'm so confused....Thanks for your patience and help!!

SCPD

QRT
The antenna won't be able to determine the difference between AM, FM, digital, etc. What does matter is the frequency band the antenna is designed for. If you're trying to listen to an 800mhz trunking system with a factory antenna your reception will definitely be hindered. Most factory antennas that come with a scanner aren't the best for receiving 800mhz unless you're fairly close to the system, which you're not. If you're going to install an outdoor antenna make sure it's as high as you can possibly get it, make sure it's tuned for the frequency band(s) you want to listen to, and definitely use HIGH quality coax cable because the higher in frequency you go the better the coax has to be. Using poor or low quality coax will be like using no antenna at all when listening to 800mhz. You probably won't be able to buy quality coax at Radio Shack so you may want to try purchasing online for something called Belden 9913, LMR400, or similar high quality coaxial cables.

SCPD

QRT
Forgot to add.... using any kind of reception booster may boost the signal level but it also boosts any noise on the signal as well. All you're really doing is making everything louder and stronger.

coloradomom

derbie,

I have the same scanner as you .

I had the same problem .
I got a 800 mhz antenna from Radio shack for $20
I tune it with the squelch to about 10 minutes to the hr .

Since then it works great

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
this is the antenna I have up now. It's range is supposed to be up to 1300 mhz coverage. BUT the book that came with it says it's just for uhv/vhf. But I'm also using a RG58 50' coax cable, could the cable be the problem or is it the antenna, or both? Lady at Radio Shack told my husband to hook it up to our cable (as in comcast via a splitter) and that would work.....I'm so frustrated with this thing. Daughter spent a lot of money on this for me and it's really no good unless I sit outside!!

Highpockets

this is the antenna I have up now. It's range is supposed to be up to 1300 mhz coverage. BUT the book that came with it says it's just for uhv/vhf. But I'm also using a RG58 50' coax cable, could the cable be the problem or is it the antenna, or both? Lady at Radio Shack told my husband to hook it up to our cable (as in comcast via a splitter) and that would work.....I'm so frustrated with this thing. Daughter spent a lot of money on this for me and it's really no good unless I sit outside!!

While your scanning you don't see a GA on the screen above the word Scanning do you?

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
Nope. I don't have it set to scan I just have it set to her channel.

derbie223

Premium Subscriber
I programmed it with software and I have it set to her talk group I guess. when I turn it on it is set on manual not scan. I only listen to one of the "channels" or frequencies until she gets a call then I can switch to another to listen if I want to.

Highpockets

I programmed it with software and I have it set to her talk group I guess. when I turn it on it is set on manual not scan. I only listen to one of the "channels" or frequencies until she gets a call then I can switch to another to listen if I want to.

Are those frequencies conventional frequencies or did you program a Trunked System with her (EMS) talk group?

Status
Not open for further replies.