• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with programming Kenwood radio!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS2194

Hello! Let me start by saying that I have a general knowledge of radios/scanners and how to program them and I am generally okay when it comes to dealing with computer software. I recently came into possession of an older Kenwood UHF FM Transceiver. It is a Kenwood TK-372G. My department got all new radios so now I have this one for personal use. This radio is already programmed with set channels from when it was used on-duty. I would like to erase its prior programming and completely reprogram it with my own channels for personal use. What is the best way to program this radio without spending a lot of money on expensive Kenwood programming software?

I have tried using CHIRP to program this radio. According to CHIRP, this radio is compatible to be programmed with the software. I am using a two-pronged Baofeng brand programming cable. When I attempt to communicate with the radio and clone the current channels to reprogram, it seems as if it will work until the last moment when it states that there was an error.

All in all, what is the best way to program this Kenwood TK-372G without dishing out a lot of money on expensive software or paying a technician to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

car5le

Premium Subscriber
There isn't...

You either have to have the software specific to that radio, or go to a tech who has the software. The cable you have will probably work. Baofang, Wouxun use the same pinout on their cables for programming as Kenwood does.

And no, CHIRP won't work as you found out... :)

Set up your Private Messaging and I'll explain more.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All in all, what is the best way to program this Kenwood TK-372G without dishing out a lot of money on expensive software or paying a technician to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In the world of commercial radio, Kenwood programming isn't expensive, especially when compared to others.

Since this is an older radio, there will be a good selection of after market or used, so obtaining an appropriate cable shouldn't be an expensive proposition.

Kenwood doesn't have the programming software for the TK-372G listed on the "dealer tools" page, and the radio has long since been "end of life'd", so finding software out on the internet probably wouldn't be an impossible task if one was to look.

The benefit of using the correct software and programming cable is that the likelihood of others being able to provide assistance will be greater.

DS2194

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I was hoping there was another way to do it, but I will just take the plunge and buy the specific software. Thanks again!

dapaq2

DS2194 it is a good idea to enable your email and/or private messages system so radio reference members may contact you. You just might receive some additional help behind the scenes... :)

toastycookies

DS2194 it is a good idea to enable your email and/or private messages system so radio reference members may contact you. You just might receive some additional help behind the scenes... :)

He cannot with only 2 posts. It is not his fault, the system does not allow it.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
Hey yall I've got a similar question. Looking to reprogram my 270. Question is can I do it on a new computer or do I need an older with dos

microx

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong) isn't KPG-56DK the right software for the TK-x70 & x72 series? If so, v4.22 was windows based and ran ok on a Windows7 machine for me. But alas, I don't have access to that computer anymore.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong) isn't KPG-56DK the right software for the TK-x70 & x72 series? If so, v4.22 was windows based and ran ok on a Windows7 machine for me. But alas, I don't have access to that computer anymore.
It depends on if they have the G or the non-G version radio. The G version would use KPG-56D, which is Windows based. The non-G versions use KPG-27D, which is DOS based.

Sent from my RealPad MA7BX2 using Tapatalk

olderookie

I have used chirp on a 270 non G I was very surprised to see it work. channel wideband radio Chinese cable worked like a champ

DJ11DLN

I have used chirp on a 270 non G I was very surprised to see it work. channel wideband radio Chinese cable worked like a champ
That's good to know...I have a few each of 260s and 270s floating around here, mainly used as TX-inhibited fringe-areas pagers (since they're not NFM-capable), and while I don't mind using 27D, keeping a DOS machine viable these days can be a little challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.