Need help with Rasp Pi !

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1gbb

I have 9 Pis that I am trying to get on line with 9 different feeds. I am not used to Linix and it is driving me crazy. I have all the programs loaded on the Pi but can't seem to get them to work. Does anyone know the ins and outs of this project well enough to talk me through it?
I got one Pi working but it is a Pi 2 and the rest are Pi 3's.
Thanks

dbarry722

I have 9 Pis that I am trying to get on line with 9 different feeds. I am not used to Linix and it is driving me crazy. I have all the programs loaded on the Pi but can't seem to get them to work. Does anyone know the ins and outs of this project well enough to talk me through it?
Thanks

Hi..

Have you seen this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/st...-raspberry-pi-3-w-darkice-multiple-feeds.html

I have this one running albeit with a bit of tweaking as I intend to run a Broadcastify feed and Marine AIS from the one Pi.

Are you running 9 Raspberry Pi's each with 9 Feeds or 9 Raspberry Pi's - each with a single feed??

Declan

DC31

Feed Provider
Thanks

I found darksnow which is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the darkice program. I was successful in loading it onto a Pi3 running Raspbian Jessie (the current version with PIXEL) There were some unmet dependencies and other tweaks that were needed. I have uploaded an SD card image for anyone who may be interested in giving it a try:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7rXg65RYh1gV0lseW9HNjJyRW8

It is a compressed image (about 2 gb) made from an 8 gb card. Expect it to take 45 min to an hour to download to your machine. It took me that long to upload it. Then extract the .img file and image that to your SD card.

Load the card into your Pi3 and fire it up connected to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and sound card. If you are going to connect wifi, you will want to do that after it boots up. Ethernet should connect by itself.

Open a Terminal window (icon is upper left). At the command prompt ($) type darksnow. This should cause a darksnow window to open. (leave the terminal window open, if you close it, darksnow also closes). Click File/Open Configuration. You should find an Icecast configuration that streams to a server on the pi and a broadcastify configuration that will stream to bcfy. For setup and troubleshooting initially, use the icecast configuration. Highlight that one and click Open. Scroll to the bottom and click Start Streaming. See that the status has changed to Started.

Now in the extreme upper left click on the Raspberry then Sound & Video/PulseAudio Volume Control. Click on the Recording Tab. You should see "darkice record from". In the box to the right it should say USB Audio Device. If not, click on that and choose the USB Audio Device.

On the pi desktop you should have a wifi or ethernet icon in the upper right. Hover over it to determine your pi's IP address. Something like 192.168.42.21. Ignore the number after the /

From another web browser on the same network connect to 192.168.42.21:8000. Of course, use your ip address, not the one that I have shown as an example. This will connect you to the icecast server on the pi.
Click the m3u button to start listening.

Once you have it adjusted to your satisfaction, load the broadcastify configuration, put in your bcfy mount point and password, and stream to bcfy.

Once you have it all working you can reboot the pi ($ sudo reboot), then start darksnow using the command $ screen -dmS streamer darksnow and it will continue to stream even after you shut down the terminal window.

Now the disclaimer: I haven't tested this very thoroughly. See if it works for you and let me know of any of your questions.

Jim

dbarry722

Interesting. My problem isn't getting Darkice to run. Its getting Darkice to run automatically if the Pi for some reason reboots.

I've tried creating the systemd service and whilst I can see at boot the Darkice service has 'started', it hasn't because the usb audio device should start to flash indicating that the mic is on!

Currently I have it running on a Pi B+ but want to migrate over to to a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3

Declan

DC31

Feed Provider
Interesting. My problem isn't getting Darkice to run. Its getting Darkice to run automatically if the Pi for some reason reboots.

I've tried creating the systemd service and whilst I can see at boot the Darkice service has 'started', it hasn't because the usb audio device should start to flash indicating that the mic is on!

Currently I have it running on a Pi B+ but want to migrate over to to a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3

Declan

Mine that run flawlessly day in and day out are on the original Model B, too.

DC31

Feed Provider

Declan

Here is a brief description of autostarting programs on pi3 using Jessie:

https://tranjeeshan.wordpress.com/2...up-programs-in-gnome-3-14-on-debian-8-jessie/

You will need to create the autostart directory in the ~/.config directory. Then in that directory create a file titled darkice.desktop with contents as follows:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/darkice
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=darkice
Name=darkice
Comment[en_US]=Start darkice when GNOME starts
Comment=Start darkice when GNOME starts

Save this file and reboot the pi. Darkice will start automatically.

This will draw the configuration from the default location /etc/darkice.cfg. If you use a different location modify the above line: Exec=/usr/bin/darkice -c path/to/darkice.cfg

To confirm that it is running type top at the command prompt and look for darkice in the list.

Hopefully, this will work for you. It works on my pi3 but I am really not an expert at this by any means.

Good luck

Jim

dbarry722

Hi Jim..

Do you run your pi with a GUI?

I just run mine headless so as to take up less memory.

I'm going to crack this autostart malarky. Seems this new Systemd has caused big problems for everone as its doesn't apprear to be very user friendly

Cheers

Declan

DC31

Feed Provider
Hi Jim..

I'm going to crack this autostart malarky. Seems this new Systemd has caused big problems for everone as its doesn't apprear to be very user friendly

Cheers

Declan

I run all my pi's headless. The pi that i was fooling around with for autostart happens to be running the full Jessie with the PIXEL desktop. It is quite easy to VNC into it running headlessly, all you need to do is enable VNC under preferences. There is ample memory.

I have attempted to figure out systemd and it has defeated me...

BitTen

Hi Jim..

Cheers

Declan

Just wondering if you have found a solution yet?

smason

My new Pi doesn't run things very well at startup either. I'm not new to Linux, but it definitely doesn't behave normally. Since either arecord or lame die regularly, I have a cron job that checks if my feed is properly running, and if not restarts it, so the cron job that runs every minute takes care of a minute after boot if necessary.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Can anyone help me out getting the feed to start after a power failure?

I have the same issue. I need to go into the program and retype the command to start the feed...then it comes back to life. I have it setup per the instructions to auto start and if you watch the command it runs the command but it will not start without logging in and restarting via command

Status
Not open for further replies.