need help with RS PRO-137. I am a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDavis0911

What's up guys?? This is my first post, and forgive me if I am in the wrong forum to be posting this question. I am brand new to the scanner/radio world and need a good bit of help to get my recently acquired PRO-137 working for me.

Purchased it from RS, and had all my county's codes uploaded by a friendly employee. I now have the ability to listen to some Police, Fire, and EMS but I know there is a better way to set my scanner up in order to more efficiently monitor the various frequencies.

I tried understanding the owners manual but it seemed complicated and even too technical for my level of understanding. I would like to be able to listen to south SL, Highway Patrol, and sheriffs.

The friendly employee directed me to this website in order to help me if I needed further instruction, which I really do.haha.

Anyways I am excited to get my scanner up and going, and appreciate any help and direction I receive.

Thanks again.
Davis

PS a little about myself. I am 22, live in Salt Lake, UT. I love the outdoors, I am contracted in the US Army, and love spending time with my best friend/dog, Romeo.

kf7yn

Davis, unfortunately the Pro-137 racing scanner does not have the ability to scan via trunk-tracking which is what 99% of the agencies in the Salt Lake Valley are using. You can monitor the UHP on their VHF simulcast freqs but you won't be able to hear Sheriff or So Salt Lake Police until you upgrade to a trunked scanner. You'll need a Pro-164 or at least a Pro-107 to get started. If you can, I would return the Pro-137 and upgrade to a trunk-tracking model.

JDavis0911

first of all,
thanks for the prompt reply. when I bought the scanner I was told that it would be able to trunked signal, which are the ones that police and EMS use, which is the main reason I bought it to begin with.

Was I misinformed that it could not pick up trunked signals?

Also if you could explain a trunked signal and why my scanner couldnt pick it up I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Davis

walld13

trunked signal

the reason the scan that you bough can not trunk is because it needs to listen to the data chanel and all the freq hop around alot the scan that you have is not a trunking scanner please return it back to the store like john has said the employe has miss imformed you all so there is a place in the radio reference that explains what trunking is in great detail. go there and read up and if you still need help then com back and some one will help you

Status
Not open for further replies.