Need help with scanner selection (Lubbock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealshad

I have wanted a scanner for emergency purposes for some time now. Radioshack has several triple trunking scanners for ~$170 on sale right now that fit my size and battery reqs (PRO162, PRO164, PRO528, PRO97), that is really about the peak of what I am willing to spend. I have been looking at the details for several days now and it is giving me a headache.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2674

That is my area, I would like to pick up as much as possible (obviously). How do you tell if the entities are using trunking or not? How can you tell if they're digital? Why don't any of these scanners pick up FM radio stations?

I want something that is portable and runs off of standard batteries, AA, AAA, C, D.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is there something better in my price range (used or new) that I can get that will cover all of the frequencies I need? I know some of the older model scanners w/o trunking can be gotten for pretty cheap, but I have no way to tell if that will serve my needs.

Thanks ahead of time.

redhelmet13

Te Pro-96, Pro-2096 from RS are digital/analog. The PSR 500/600 from GRECOM are digital/analog (deluxe version). All of the scanners you quoted are not digital.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Well you will need a trunking scanner that is capable of Ericcson EDACS, and Motorola Types I and II. That will get most of the systems in your area. If you look at your link the first list you come to says:

All Trunked Radio Systems:
these are trunking systems in your area and they show the various types (EDACS/ Moto/ Proj. 25).

As far as what YOU want to listen to, look through this list (by clicking each link) and it will take you to what THAT particular trunking system carries. If you want to listen to LPD you will need an EDACS capable scanner. TTU runs on the Moto system and some P25. Getting a P25 capable scanner will put you over that $175 mark. All of those will run the 3 most common systems right now (EDACS, Moto and LTR). It looks like not much happens around there outside of EDACS and Moto (along with all the none trunked, single FM freqs listed on the first page).

All of those scanners should do well. Just read through the Radioshack forum and search for each scanner by number in the search bar. Should get PLENTY of info.

therealshad

So are you saying that all of the police/EMS/fire in my area are digital transmissions? Is there even anything worth hearing on analog still?

I can't spend over $200 on a scanner, its just not feasible considering it will most likely never leave my closet .

Reply was to rehelmet13, thanks for the good info texasemt.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
shad I didn't see any digital systems but you can check. Once you click on a trunked system (Lubbock/ Lubbock County for instance) the next page will show the name, location, county, type and VOICE- if the voice says analog then all the four scanners you chose wlll pick them up. You wouldn't be able to get any hybrid or APCO-25/Proj25.

therealshad

OK thanks, the electric company and the university are partly on P25. How about the single frequency FM? Are those all analog? I didnt see any voice entry when clicking on them, are they all analog by default?

Sorry I'm so clueless and thanks a ton for the information.

twobytwo

The realshad,
I live in Lubbock. 95% of public safety ( sheriff,police ,fire,ems) is on the EDACS city of Lubbock system.A Pro 97 will work fine to monitor this.There is not that much activity on VHF (152-174MHz) & UHF (450-469Mhz). Tech is converting to digital so not much to listen to. The only time they are worth listening to is during Tech football games- Nothing like a bunch of drunk college kids.I think if you can wait save your money & get a PSR500 in the long run you might be better off...Im going to. DPS will probably go digital in the near future.If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
OK thanks, the electric company and the university are partly on P25. How about the single frequency FM? Are those all analog? I didnt see any voice entry when clicking on them, are they all analog by default?

Sorry I'm so clueless and thanks a ton for the information.
Actually Xcel is all P25 in TX & NM. The old system, not used now, was also all digital but VSELP (old style ASTRO).

Status
Not open for further replies.