need help with sdr# and a nooelec r820t sdr dvb-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2sgi

I am new to the sdr world so here's my prob. I got the dongle and wanted to use sdr# so I followed the install ins on the website. and all I think I am receiving is the broadcast fm radio. and when I go to listen to any other freq outside of that range either lower or higher I don't hear anything. i am however using the antenna that came with the dongle. could it be i just need a better outdoor antenna or did I install something wrong. and what is the preferred ui for this dongle.

aharry

By default the dongle gain is set to 0, which means you will only get VERY strong signals. Click the configure button next to the device selection drop down and raise the gain.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
The antenna it comes with is truly awful. You'll definitely want a better one if you intend to monitor anything that isn't literally breaking your door down. I snipped the antenna off of its little cable and soldered on a BNC connector so I could use my RS-800 antenna with it - big improvement.

-AZ

rbm

Even a short piece of wire works better than the included antenna.

That's what I used until my MCX and PAL adapters arrived.

Rich

Edit: You can check out this screen capture of NOAA weather reception to verify some of your settings.
I have to turn my RF gain WAY down because I'm on an outside antenna with a preamp.

Last edited:

rbm

What would be the offset shift.

The offset shift is ONLY used to accommodate up or down converters.

That is the offset from the frequency of SDRSharp to the frequency of the actual incoming signal.

The 'Frequency correction (ppm)' is used to correct the frequency variation of a particular dongle.
I have ten different dongles and they run from 17 to 87 ppm.

There are several ways to find that correction. (after about a 40 minute warm up).
The easiest way is to use the 'pilot' of an ATSC TV broadcast.
That is supposed to be 'exactly' 310 kHz within the TV signal. (ie. Channel 14 is at 470.310 MHz)
Using the highest frequency local channels works the best.

You can see a list of them here. Just check against a few local TV signals because they DO vary slightly.
North American broadcast television frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rich

Edit: This shows the view while calibrating to an ATSC TV pilot frequency.
Notice for best accuracy you need to zoom in.

Last edited:

kc2sgi

thank you guys for the help. got it working using my jpole I have outside for the time being.one more question what programs are there to pick up the sstv and noaa sat image. or if you guys have any suggested programs.cause I do plan on getting the ham it up convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.