Need help with SDS-200 ethernet/lan connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wstcstas26

Premium Subscriber
Recently purchased a new SDS-200 in San Diego and I want to fully utilize the lan and streaming capabilities this scanner offers. I have the latest version of ProScan 16 and have followed the manual the best I can understand. My immediate problem is getting the virtual scanner up on my dell laptop running Windows 10 and Chrome browser using just the ethernet cable. I have accessed my lan settings in the 200 and obtained the ip address and typed that into the URL section and clicked the connect button in the Proscan com port area.

I repeatedly get the UDP not connected which remains on the screen. I notice the UDP scanner port number obviously remains the same however the computer port changes each time I attempt to connect. The Bytes TX continue to advance however so it appears something may be transmitting.

I have gone into Firewall settings and allowed permissions for the Proscan UDP ports to be open but am I missing a step in configuring the lan port settings on my Dell laptop? Does the ethernet port on my Dell need special configurations or settings?

My cable is good because I tested it by directly plugging it into my Netgear router and it was found quickly on my home network. At that point a different IP was selected by my home router. Bob suggested not to go directly to the PC but hook the scanner and Dell directly into my Netgear Router! I will have to add a switch as I do not have any available slots on the existing setup.

This has been very frustrating and Bob from Proscan recommended I reach out to this group for help! My son who was a computer wizard always handled the techy stuff and he recently passed aware from a rare cancer.

I think someone could make a little beer money if they were to come up with a one page step by step for specific scenarios dealing with Lan/ streaming steps for the new Uniden SDS 200 since it offers this cool feature of an ethernet port! Bob from Proscan has been attempting to help resolve my issue and his manual is excellent overall, just tough when troubleshooting is required.

Thank you in advance for any solutions this group might offer!

Tom

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Basically the problem is the SDS200 is connected to the computer Ethernet port. Does anyone know if the Ethernet port automatically crosses over TX & RX or is the cross over configurable?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Basically the problem is the SDS200 is connected to the computer Ethernet port. Does anyone know if the Ethernet port automatically crosses over TX & RX or is the cross over configurable?
Depends on the device. If you get a link light on both devices, it should be good to go from a link perspective.

However, unless both devices have a static IP assigned, the IPs will likely auto configure but may vary dramatically.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you bridge the multiple LAN connections in the computer, the LAN segments won't talk to each other.
Annotation 2020-01-16 205543.png

wh6diq

Aloha,

No claim of expert status here, but I'll throw out a couple gotchas that took me hours to research and solve...
1) I kept trying to use the SCANNER's IP on my LAN. Wrong...the software is on my desktop, need to use the desktop IP.
2) Netgear 7000 router apparently has issue...does not like to open high port numbers. Changed from 5000 to 12, all is good.
There was no firewall issue; or Windows Defender issue, or any other settings...turned out to be very simple in hindsight. I've set passwords for Serve Control mode, files, and superuser, leaving audio and monitor open for the time being.

CyrKrtsMan

Try using a 'Null Modem" cable that properly swaps the TX and RX lines. Otherwise it is a little like connecting the headphone jacks of two devices together and expecting to be able to hear one radio on the other.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try using a 'Null Modem" cable that properly swaps the TX and RX lines. Otherwise it is a little like connecting the headphone jacks of two devices together and expecting to be able to hear one radio on the other.
This isn't applicable to wired ethernet devices of recent manufacture, as most devices autosense and don't require a crossover cable.

CyrKrtsMan

This isn't applicable to wired ethernet devices of recent manufacture, as most devices autosense and don't require a crossover cable.
Thanks for the update! I don't recall even seeing this feature mentioned in specifications for those devices that still have an Ethernet port.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Thanks for the update! I don't recall even seeing this feature mentioned in specifications for those devices that still have an Ethernet port.
You'll see this advertised as Auto MDIX, if it's shown at all. More often than not, I use a standard Ethernet cable for everything these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.