Need help with SDS200 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I just got this radio but totally screwing up my systems and I did read portions of manual but not helpful. I only have 6 simple systems so it shouldn't be this difficult.
I did manage to get radio to scan 5 of my 6 systems. The 6th one it refuses to scan even though I have quick key set and it is in the radio. I tried multiple times to re load scanner but it does the same thing every time. There is no scan button on radio and I cant figure out how to pause it so I can step through my systems and check them. I have display set to simple. I think I need someone to help me reset radio to clean slate and start over with help from someone. I use Sentinel and I tried using Proscan but I can't find my way around the program. VERY frustrating cause Sentinel doesnt give option of NOT uploading encrypted channels. I have to step through each one manually. I dont want to tie up the forum whining but maybe a local person can help. It is scanning the EAST zone but I dont have that programmed cause I dont hear it from my location. I cant delete it cause Its not in my list!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just got this radio but totally screwing up my systems and I did read portions of manual but not helpful. I only have 6 simple systems so it shouldn't be this difficult.
I did manage to get radio to scan 5 of my 6 systems. The 6th one it refuses to scan even though I have quick key set and it is in the radio. I tried multiple times to re load scanner but it does the same thing every time. There is no scan button on radio and I cant figure out how to pause it so I can step through my systems and check them. I have display set to simple. I think I need someone to help me reset radio to clean slate and start over with help from someone. I use Sentinel and I tried using Proscan but I can't find my way around the program. VERY frustrating cause Sentinel doesnt give option of NOT uploading encrypted channels. I have to step through each one manually. I dont want to tie up the forum whining but maybe a local person can help. It is scanning the EAST zone but I dont have that programmed cause I dont hear it from my location. I cant delete it cause Its not in my list!
Is this system on the same Favorites list as the ones that do scan? Or on a separate list.

Are you also scanning with the main database while using location?

If you manually created the system that will not scan, but did not also manually program the location data, then using location while scanning will ignore that system. A blank latitude & longitude (basically 0 and 0) translates to a location in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa, obviously out of range.

Can you export the list that is not scanning to ab hpe file, then post it? (You would need to compress the file in order to attach, as the hpe extention is not valid for the forums.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Getting nowhere with manual. I mistakenly deleted all my Sentinel favorites list. I still have the 6 individual ".hpe" files for each of my 6 systems in a folder on computer but Sentinel wont let me import them back into the program. So I am stuck with no options. I have been reading the easy to read manual but it is still confusing and a lot of things that dont apply to how I will use radio. I just want to start fresh and remake a favorites list in Sentinel but I am having trouble.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Is this system on the same Favorites list as the ones that do scan? Or on a separate list.

Are you also scanning with the main database while using location?

If you manually created the system that will not scan, but did not also manually program the location data, then using location while scanning will ignore that system. A blank latitude & longitude (basically 0 and 0) translates to a location in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa, obviously out of range.

Can you export the list that is not scanning to ab hpe file, then post it? (You would need to compress the file in order to attach, as the hpe extention is not valid for the forums.
Here is a picture of my 6 systems. 3 of them are P25 simulcast on RISCON, 1 of them is a stand alone P25 system not on RISCON, 1 is an LTR system and the other is another stand alone P25 system. I accidentaly deleted my systems from Sentinel and going crazy trying to redo it but program wont let me. I still have the 6 .hpe files in a folder on computer. I wanted to try to import them back into Sentinel but there is no option to do that. All I can do i start from scratch. But I forgot all the steps on how to do this. I need step by step instructions on how to set up each individual system (6). The manual is too confusing. I had assigned each of the 6 systems quick keys 1 thru 6. When I imported into radio I noticed one system not scanning although it shows it is in the radio. So now I am stuck with no more ideas.

Attachments

• list1.JPG
    list1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 46

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I still have the 6 .hpe files in a folder on computer. I wanted to try to import them back into Sentinel but there is no option to do that. All I can do i start from scratch.

When you have Sentinel running on your computer and click on “file” in the top tool bar there is no selection in that drop down menu for “import hpe“??

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When you have Sentinel running on your computer and click on “file” in the top tool bar there is no selection in that drop down menu for “import hpe“??
I am going around in circles trying to make sense out of this. I am trying to re-import my original .hpe files but I get 2 or three then it wont let me do anymore. I think I need to completely start over from the very beginning. I am having trouble trying to figure out sentinel. I cant remember the steps. Getting old and memory failing. I try to do ONE system at a time. I have 6 systems. RISCON is the P25 simulcast system in Rhode Island. I have the NORTH, SOUTH and PROVIDENCE (City) zones. I can't seem to SEPARATE one from another. The other 3 systems are a P25 system my town police department uses, an LTR system for the State Prison and the US NAVY base in Newport which is a P25 system on 383Mhz. The Navy & my town (Cranston)Police P25 systems are NOT part of RISCON. When I make a favorites list in Sentinel, I can't find where to get the data I need. I see at top of left "USA, CANADA" so I click on USA and all the states are listed. I go to Rhode Island and theres where I get lost. It lists the 5 COUNTIES in RI but I can't find what I want. I click on "Statewide" and I do see the RISCON P25 system but everything is all thrown in together and I cant differentiate the individual zones in RI. I am STUCK here and keep trying but I can't PICK what I need to add to favorites list.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
There is but I dont know what to do with it. If I click on it, it takes me to my folder with the 6 .hpe files I made a few weeks ago. I don't remember how I made them. Memory bad. So I pick one of them but dont know what to do next. I am getting confused with favorites lists and how to add to it. I made a favorites list called "Rhody". If I highlight "Rhody" then try to add an .hpe file to it, it works at first but if I try to add more than 2 or 3 it simply doesnt copy them over or it ADDS it to the previous system. I cant keep them all separated.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 15

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
There is but I dont know what to do with it. If I click on it, it takes me to my folder with the 6 .hpe files I made a few weeks ago. I don't remember how I made them. Memory bad. So I pick one of them but dont know what to do next. I am getting confused with favorites lists and how to add to it. I made a favorites list called "Rhody". If I highlight "Rhody" then try to add an .hpe file to it, it works at first but if I try to add more than 2 or 3 it simply doesnt copy them over or it ADDS it to the previous system. I cant keep them all separated.
What I ended up doing is COPY FROM SCANNER, so at least I got my files back in Sentinel. But I still have to figure out why scanner doesnt scan system #6, the Navy Base one.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What I ended up doing is COPY FROM SCANNER, so at least I got my files back in Sentinel. But I still have to figure out why scanner doesnt scan system #6, the Navy Base one.
I'd still suggest exporting the Favorites list (or lists) that are giving you problems, and attaching them to a post. If those six*.hpe files shown in your screen shot in Post 5 are the ones (no changes made in Sentinel, nor in the scanner), then attach them to a post.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.
Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.
Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately. If the file, that you currently show in Sentinel, is different than the others, export it as well.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.

You can either do this singly, one 8.hpe file at a time, or highlight all of them in Windows Explorer.

With them highlighted in Windows Explorer, Right-Click on the highlighted group of files.
That gets you a pop-up menu with a number of choices. One of them, in the lower part, is Send To
Seel;ct that, which gets you a smaller menu. One of your options there is to 'send' your file (or files) to a compressed (zipped folder. That's the one you want.

That will create a file with a *.zip extention instead of *.hpe. If you did the files separately, there would be both your original files named with the *.hpe extention, and another one with the same file name, but with a *.zip extention. The ones with a zip extention can be attached to a post.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I'd still suggest exporting the Favorites list (or lists) that are giving you problems, and attaching them to a post. If those six*.hpe files shown in your screen shot in Post 5 are the ones (no changes made in Sentinel, nor in the scanner), then attach them to a post.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.
View attachment 85786

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.
Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.
Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately. If the file, that you currently show in Sentinel, is different than the others, export it as well.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.

You can either do this singly, one 8.hpe file at a time, or highlight all of them in Windows Explorer.

With them highlighted in Windows Explorer, Right-Click on the highlighted group of files.
That gets you a pop-up menu with a number of choices. One of them, in the lower part, is Send To
Seel;ct that, which gets you a smaller menu. One of your options there is to 'send' your file (or files) to a compressed (zipped folder. That's the one you want.

View attachment 85787

That will create a file with a *.zip extention instead of *.hpe. If you did the files separately, there would be both your original files named with the *.hpe extention, and another one with the same file name, but with a *.zip extention. The ones with a zip extention can be attached to a post.
OK hopefully this works. I have been trying for hours to get this to scan. I have it set as Quick Key 6. When I uploaded my 6 systems to radio THIS was the only one that wouldn't scan. But when you go in to "manage favorites" it is in there. So since I am going around in circles I deleted this system from radio. Its confusing in both Sentinel and Proscan cause theres alot of jumping around you have to do and I get lost and miss things. I only need ONE favorites list cause I don't have much data to scan. I didnt want to make a NEW favorites list with just this one system in it. I did read the section in manual for Sentinel to make new favorites list and add systems to it but still cant get Sentinel to cooperate. Chasing my tail for hours trying to start fresh but no go. I tried a few times to manually program this system but it ends up putting it in "FAVORITES0" and STILL wont scan and I still give it quick key number 6. If I manually step thru all systems in radio, it doesnt even find this system! It's programmed, its in there but it cant find it. BTW I do have this system working perfectly in my bcd996p2 radio. So I know it works.

Attachments

• US Naval Base Newport.zip
    605 bytes · Views: 10
Last edited:

Kaleier1

Since it is a military favorites list, do you have "Military" turned on under system types? You have the other 5 systems working and the only difference I can think of is the a different service type for the naval base list.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK hopefully this works. I have been trying for hours to get this to scan. I have it set as Quick Key 6. When I uploaded my 6 systems to radio THIS was the only one that wouldn't scan. But when you go in to "manage favorites" it is in there. So since I am going around in circles I deleted this system from radio. Its confusing in both Sentinel and Proscan cause theres alot of jumping around you have to do and I get lost and miss things. I only need ONE favorites list cause I don't have much data to scan. I didnt want to make a NEW favorites list with just this one system in it. I did read the section in manual for Sentinel to make new favorites list and add systems to it but still cant get Sentinel to cooperate. Chasing my tail for hours trying to start fresh but no go. I tried a few times to manually program this system but it ends up putting it in "FAVORITES0" and STILL wont scan and I still give it quick key number 6. If I manually step thru all systems in radio, it doesnt even find this system! It's programmed, its in there but it cant find it. BTW I do have this system working perfectly in my bcd996p2 radio. So I know it works.
It's not scannable because the system doesn't have a site group with site frequencies, only TGID's. Go back to Sentinel then find the system then right click then Append To Favorites List. After that, delete the original system. Once you get the system setup correctly then write to the scanner.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It's not scannable because the system doesn't have a site group and site frequencies, only TGID's. Go back to Sentinel then find the system then right click then Append To Favorites List. After that, delete the original system. Once you get the system setup correctly then write to the scanner.
OK I am having a lot of problems with starting from scratch. I totally messed up Sentinel and when I try to export favorites list to radio, it doesnt export anything. I need to start over clean. I am having trouble organizing and finding what I need. I can only scan using the zip code function. If I could just get clear step by step instructions. The manual isnt much help. I tried using both Proscan and Sentinel but too confusing. I just want 6 small systems to scan. I had no trouble programming my bcd996p2 with these 6 systems. I used freescan which is a heck of a lot easier.
I dont know how to start from scratch a NEW favorites list in Sentinel. I keep going around in circles. I have my 6 systems saved on computer. It would be easier to pick my systems right from the radio reference database so I get all the right data. But using these other programs nothing familiar shows up to add to my favorites list. I end up going back and forth and get nowhere.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK I am having a lot of problems with starting from scratch. I totally messed up Sentinel and when I try to export favorites list to radio, it doesnt export anything. I need to start over clean. I am having trouble organizing and finding what I need. I can only scan using the zip code function. If I could just get clear step by step instructions. The manual isnt much help. I tried using both Proscan and Sentinel but too confusing. I just want 6 small systems to scan. I had no trouble programming my bcd996p2 with these 6 systems. I used freescan which is a heck of a lot easier.
I dont know how to start from scratch a NEW favorites list in Sentinel. I keep going around in circles. I have my 6 systems saved on computer. It would be easier to pick my systems right from the radio reference database so I get all the right data. But using these other programs nothing familiar shows up to add to my favorites list. I end up going back and forth and get nowhere.

Like I said before it's not "these other programs". It's the scanner with the Favorites List that increases the complexity.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Have you searched on YouTube? There are many videos there that will walk you through using Sentinel to program your scanner.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Like I said before it's not "these other programs". It's the scanner with the Favorites List that increases the complexity.
when i upload from sentinel it shows the upload go real fast and when i unplug cable NOTHING TO SCAN! I was able to do this before but now it wont upload.

phask

Premium Subscriber

As Bob said earlier; You have no - zero - zilch, sites. All you have are the talkgroups.

Is this system in Sentinel> And where?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Here ,I added the site. I did not add any location data.

Attachments

• 1-US Naval Base Newport.zip
    685 bytes · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.