Need help with semi permanent mast..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azgunguy

I live off grid in northern az and have been using this antenna mast for the last 2 months or so. It has 3 guy wires that are 300lbs test stainless steel cable each secured to a 5 gal bucket of concrete with anchors. This has withstood 60-70mph winds no problem, and through rain and snow. My question is, how can i protect myself against lightning. Aside from the building in the background its the tallest thing out here. When a nasty storm looks like its coming in, i take it town and disconnect my radio. 20220320_114541_ccexpress.jpeg

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You should have some grounding to the mast to start. On the RF cable get a good Poly Phaser (Poly Phaser) and out just prior to the building your radio is in. Ideally this is grounded to the same point as your mast. ? Your ground doesn't look fun for pounding a 10' ground rod in but thats where I would start with #6 to each devise.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Taking it down/disconnecting your radio is the easy solution.

If you want to keep it up during storms, realize that it's difficult for hobby level users to install enough protection to guarantee protection/safety.

As jeepsandradios said above, a ground rod at the base of the antenna is a good start. You also need to ground -all- your equipment to bonded ground rods. One at the mast, bonded back to one for your home.
Based on the soil conductivity, you may need more than one ground rod. Usually you are looking for 5Ω or lower resistance.
Coax should be grounded at the top of the tower, bottom of the tower and where it enters the home.
A lightning protector, like a Polyphaser (brand name) is also required. There are many to choose from, so getting the right one for your frequencies/power level is important.

National Electric Code is the document you should be using to do it to code. Code makes you legal, but you may need to take additional steps.

Here's a good diagram that shows some of the specifics:

If you really want to go nuts, do a search on Motorola R56 standard. It's sort of the Holy Grail of grounding info. Way beyond what you need for hobby use, but still has some great info in it.

Azgunguy

Taking it down/disconnecting your radio is the easy solution.

If you want to keep it up during storms, realize that it's difficult for hobby level users to install enough protection to guarantee protection/safety.

As jeepsandradios said above, a ground rod at the base of the antenna is a good start. You also need to ground -all- your equipment to bonded ground rods. One at the mast, bonded back to one for your home.
Based on the soil conductivity, you may need more than one ground rod. Usually you are looking for 5Ω or lower resistance.
Coax should be grounded at the top of the tower, bottom of the tower and where it enters the home.
A lightning protector, like a Polyphaser (brand name) is also required. There are many to choose from, so getting the right one for your frequencies/power level is important.

National Electric Code is the document you should be using to do it to code. Code makes you legal, but you may need to take additional steps.

Here's a good diagram that shows some of the specifics:

If you really want to go nuts, do a search on Motorola R56 standard. It's sort of the Holy Grail of grounding info. Way beyond what you need for hobby use, but still has some great info in it.

Based on what you and @jeepsandradios i will likely just take it down when i need to. Trying to get a grounding rod in the ground deeper than 12" here requires drilling due to the rock. Its miserable. I appreciate all the feedback from the 2 of yous.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Based on what you and @jeepsandradios i will likely just take it down when i need to. Trying to get a grounding rod in the ground deeper than 12" here requires drilling due to the rock. Its miserable. I appreciate all the feedback from the 2 of yous.

There are other ways to install ground rods other than trying to beat a rod straight down through solid rock. You can install them at an angle or even horizontally.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Check DX Engineering for a tilt over base for the vertical antenna. It will make taking it down and putting it back up much easier. Grounding is also a good idea there can be lightning without a storm.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There are other ways to install ground rods other than trying to beat a rod straight down through solid rock. You can install them at an angle or even horizontally.
Expanding on this a bit, there was a nice article about installing horizontal grounding rods for a site, in rocky terrain. They made furrows, laid the rods in them, and used a mineral mixture to help ensure good conductivity.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Do you live in the building or the camper? The coax appears to lead in the opposite direction of both, to what? No lightning protection on the building?

bharvey2

Given your location and soil conditions, you might want to investigate what is known as a "ufer" or "ufer ground".

Azgunguy

Do you live in the building or the camper? The coax appears to lead in the opposite direction of both, to what? No lightning protection on the building?
I live in a different camper. Not the one in the picture. I cant remember if theres a grounding rod for the building

Status
Not open for further replies.