Need help with Trunk System{Motorola type II {Smartnet}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Can anybody Please help me? I have a Uniden BCD996T bearcat scanner for 4 years now and I have programmed it all by Hand.{14 Counties} What I am having problems with is the new Trunked System in my County, which is Centre County in Pennsylvania, They are switching over to the new Motorola type II Smartcast System. I have gotten a lot of information off of here and set the trunk system up myself. I put it in a system, I set the system up as Motorola type II/P-25 system. put a name on it, went to system option, I put it on scan for ID scan/ search, status bit- I put yes, end code- I put yes, I-call is off, set record- I put all channels, I went to select site and selected site, set quick key to 1, set start key to 1, I put 21 frequencies in, set the Modulation to auto. I have had it on NFM but did not pick anything up on it for days. I set the Attenuator to yes, hold time is 2, set the C-Channel only to On. I have 4 groups with the talk groups ID's in them. I set the quick keys up from 1 to 4 since I have 4 groups and then hit scan. It has been on for over a week and I don't pick anything up at all. And something else to throw out there, I have tried with a antenna outside for another week and still nothing. I live on top of a mountain{1800 feet up}and I thought I could pick it up easy since one of the system towers is real close to me. Can somebody help me out? and I have saved everything too just to let you know.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It appears that the old Motorola Type II Smartnet system may no longer be in service as it was replaced by the new P25 system.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

BCD996TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Turn the Attenuator off unless you are having interference problems.

If you hold on the active control channel you should see a system ID on the display. If not you may not be within range of the system.

You want to set status bit to ignore.

Check the frequencies. Looking at both those systems I don't see anywhere near 21 frequencies. You only need the control channels anyway.

Even though you originally programmed the scanner by hand you can still get a computer cable and use FreeScan to program it (Highly Recommended).

(In the future when you have an issue with a particular system I suggest you post in your state's forum where someone familiar with that system may be able to offer some insight)

Last edited:
Thank you Very Much W8RMH. The only thing wrong with this is that I'm not good downloading from the computer into my scanner. I do not know what Cable to get or even know how to get the information from here by down loading. I guess I'm stupid! LOL. I have programed this scanner by hand and it was easy because most of the channels are conventional. but since these systems are going to this P-25 system. I think my days of programming scanners are coming to a end. Thank you again for the Help W8RMH. Have fun Scanning.

wtp

less is more

set up the system but do id search not scan
that means just the basics, no talk groups, no quick keys, no i-call. just set what you must cc channel, p-25.
another thought (i might catch flak for this) is to set it up as mot and custom band plan and see what you get
the county next to me is p-25 and i use a 396t ((similar to yours) and have to do that to get them. pm me if you want.

Thank you NTP, I will give it a shot and see what happens. I would e-mail you, But I'm not a full time Member here , Just a guest. I bought this scanner with savings because I moved closer to my dad, which is getting up there in age and needs help getting around, because We live on a mountain 1800 feet up. I need it because during bad weather here in Pennsylvania, they close the mountain and I can hear it when they do, but since they are going to this P-25 system, I can't get anything and what puzzles me is, There is a tower for this system about 300 yards away from my home. That's why I don't understand why I can't pick anything up. But thank You again for the advice and I'll see what happens. Keep on scanning NTP!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
set up the system but do id search not scan
that means just the basics, no talk groups, no quick keys, no i-call. just set what you must cc channel, p-25.
another thought (i might catch flak for this) is to set it up as mot and custom band plan and see what you get
the county next to me is p-25 and i use a 396t ((similar to yours) and have to do that to get them. pm me if you want.

Like I said, it appears that the OP is attempting to receive a system which is no longer in service.

teufler

THIS FILE SHOULD WORK

You should have a cable that came with the computer. Either plugs in your serial port or you have new cable that has a usb connector in place of the 9 pin plug. the file sent is zipped as RadioReference requires all files to be zipped. If you do not have an unzipping utility, 7-zip can be downloaded. This file contains all the agencies in Centre county, both motorola type 2 sites, the p25 sites and the talk groups, and the conventional stuff too. just use Freescan 2.17 and click for the file, then the icon to send to the radio. the file is called centre cty zip

Attachments

• CENTRE CTY.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 71
I got it working now, thank you very much NPT, W8RMH and Teufler, You Folks are great. I'm back to scanning again. I owe ya big time. Thanks again!

wtp

you are welcome

at 10 posts you can get pm's so if you have other questions, feel free.
the best way to pay it back is do what happened, try to help others.

teufler

YOUR WELCOME

Compared to some of the people on Radioreference, I am a neophyte . I got the 396xt last september and I have to admit, I have loaded and reloaded systems time and again. I still have troubles or questions on somethings so with the Freescan software, if what I input doesn't work the first time, it is easy to change, reload and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.