Need help with trying to pick the best Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftking1980

Hello everyone so I haven't been into scanning since the early 90's I recently got my hands on the Uniden BC125AT handheld and I would like to get a better antenna for it reason being some channels come in scratchy and there not that far away, but I have no idea which is the best to buy. The more I read about how to choose the right one the more I get confused. The MHz make a difference and maybe some other stuff I don't know about, I have no idea what I need for an antenna upgrade for my area or how to find out what my local PD is putting out for MHz maybe I'm reading to far into it now that I'm older, not to mention also trying to figure out this RISCON thing but that's a different story. so ultimately could someone please help me figure out all this and understand it and then recommend an antenna to get the best reception for my surrounding PD!!!

lou9155

you cant go wrong with a quality discone such as the diamond 130 also low loss coax such as lmr400 you will be amazed at the improvement

Driftking1980

awesome thanks for the info lou9155! the MHz ranges for the antenna doesn't mean anything ? I see there are ones that do different ranges??

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Antenna is irrelevant if the receiver can't even receive the frequency band used by the RISCON system.

Not to mention RISCON is a digital trunked system the 125 cannot receive (the only thing it will hear is digital noise).

The days of a basic analog scanner being able to monitor public safety are pretty much over. Get a scanner that can actually receive a digital trunked system, like the BCD436HP, and then you can worry about an antenna. Otherwise you're buying new tires for a car you don't even own yet.

Driftking1980

with everyone's help I totally understand now and the BCD436HP is the exact model I was looking at !!! thank you everyone ! my how things have changed since the early 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.