Need help with what kind of radio I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatedGore

Premium Subscriber
I have a few questions, what radio can listen to a frequency like this one. 856.38750

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That depends on a number of things. If you share who you want to listen to and where you are we might be able to help you. Is it digital, analog, trunked? What mode is it? It's not just the frequency that determines the scanner.

Reconrider

You said radio, I think you mean scanner. A radio can talk and receive were a scanner can only receive.

Looking at your history, you're in miami county indiana. That frequency is listed with a Project 25 Phase II system and an analog utilities company.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Reconrider, the term radio for a listening device was used decades before the scanner was invented. He is having enough trouble without being chastised for your misunderstanding of the term he used.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Im new to all this stuff, trying to get into it.
You need not apologize! We were all newbies at one point. Now, if in 30 years you're still calling a scanner a radio, then we (those of us that are still alive anyway), will have a problem. :) Welcome to the hobby!

Reconrider

Im new to all this stuff, trying to get into it.
Do you only want to listen to that, or will you want to listen to more? If you want a "do it all" type scanner, I recommend the sds100(handheld)/sds200(desktop). If you only want to listen to that, you can get a cheaper analog scanner.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Do you only want to listen to that, or will you want to listen to more? If you want a "do it all" type scanner, I recommend the sds100(handheld)/sds200(desktop). If you only want to listen to that, you can get a cheaper analog scanner.

While I agree the "do it all" top of the line SDSx00 is an excellent choice, I don't think the OP needs to go to the top, there are a lot of other scanner options out there that will allow him the 800 mhz analog as well as digital options if he wants to test the waters and expand.

What the OP didn't mention is hand held or base unit and price range he is looking for, that is another factor in making a recommendation.

If @DatedGore is only looking for the analog option there is a base unit in the Classifieds that is a low cost starter.

Reconrider

While I agree the "do it all" top of the line SDSx00 is an excellent choice, I don't think the OP needs to go to the top, there are a lot of other scanner options out there that will allow him the 800 mhz analog as well as digital options if he wants to test the waters and expand.

What the OP didn't mention is hand held or base unit and price range he is looking for, that is another factor in making a recommendation.
That's why I only gave him the option instead of saying to buy the sds series. I was waiting for a reply as to what he would want before I recommended anything else in a price range.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
That frequency is listed with a Project 25 Phase II system and an analog utilities company.
If these frequencies are truly listed in both licenses, it may be because the utilities frequencies could have since been incorporated into the larger P25 Phase II system - in which case the frequencies would no longer be monitorable as analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.