Need help with Whistler TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo876

Give this file a try. Save the file to your computer. In the TRX-1 software, click on the File tab and click on Restore Configuration FROM Archive. Highlight the file you just saved (Phoenix AZ) and click Open. Click on Yes in the Overwrite Warning box. Connect your scanner to the computer with the USB cable. Scanner should be OFF. Click on the Scanner/SD Card tab and click on Copy Configuration TO Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click on Yes in the Overwrite Warning box. Your scanner should be seen in Available Drives. Click on Continue. Click on OK for File Copy Complete. Eject the scanner and unplug the cable.

I probably told you this, but your file is working like a charm. Thank you, Thank you! Finally I can pull it from the desk and enjoy what I paid for.

Jimbo876

All I can say. Is you guy/gals are really helpful people, and i greatly appreciate it. Again thanks sooooo much. I hope you'll be there for me again if and when I need it.

Jimbo876

Give this file a try. Save the file to your computer. In the TRX-1 software, click on the File tab and click on Restore Configuration FROM Archive. Highlight the file you just saved (Phoenix AZ) and click Open. Click on Yes in the Overwrite Warning box. Connect your scanner to the computer with the USB cable. Scanner should be OFF. Click on the Scanner/SD Card tab and click on Copy Configuration TO Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click on Yes in the Overwrite Warning box. Your scanner should be seen in Available Drives. Click on Continue. Click on OK for File Copy Complete. Eject the scanner and unplug the cable.

your file worked like a charm! TY.

Jimbo876

I depends on your location in relation to the towers. If you have one tower close to you, it can overcome the problems from receiving multiple towers. If you are in the middle of several towers, you are out of luck. All of the towers in a simulcast system transmit the control channel on the same frequency at the same time and the signals arrive at your scanner at different times depending on the distance from the tower. Your scanner is then unable to properly decode the control and results in dropouts and choppy audio. As you travel around the Phoenix area, you may find locations where your scanner will not work at all. The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 were designed to overcome the simulcast issues and are the only scanners that will reliably receive simulcast systems. If your scanner does not work as well with the 800 MHz antenna, try turning on the attenuator. It may receive fewer towers and work even better.

How do I do that since im new to this stuff. I have no clue how to do that.

Jimbo876

Seems like if I put it in a certain place in a room. It works like no bodies business, but when I go outside, it starts to sound like R2D2.

Jimbo876

Seems like if I put it in a certain place in a room. It works like no bodies business, but when I go outside, it starts to sound like R2D2.

Sorry i'm bombarding you guys for answers. Just want this radio to do what it's (supposed to do).

Jimbo876

The file that tvengr posted seems to work good. Its when i go outside it get a little sketchy on reception.

Jimbo876

Am I able to add other systems to this setup you gave me? If so, how do I go about that? TY

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can add other systems. I suggest that you keep the original file as a backup. You have both conventional and trunked system tabs on the software. I usually do all of my editing for channels, talkgroups, and scan lists in Excel in a CSV file and import text files to populate the software. When you save to archive after an update, change the CDAT number to a file name that means something.

Last edited:

Jimbo876

You can add other systems. I suggest that you keep the original file as a backup. You have both conventional and trunked system tabs on the software. I usually do all of my editing for channels, talkgroups, and scan lists in Excel in a CSV file and import text files to populate the software. When you save to archive after an update, change the CDAT number to a file name that means something.

Ok, I'll leave it alone then. I got this far with all your help. Don't want to screw it up now until I get more acquainted with ezscan. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts in helping me get this far.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
inside is probably attenuating the signal enough to help....for outside try the attenuation (ATT) button and report back.

Jimbo876

inside is probably attenuating the signal enough to help....for outside try the attenuation (ATT) button and report back.

It seems like. Having the (ATT) off inside and outside. The radio performs alot better, as long as the radio isn't around any electronics or electrical interference. Seems odd to me, but I guess it effects the radio reception.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It seems like. Having the (ATT) off inside and outside. The radio performs alot better, as long as the radio isn't around any electronics or electrical interference. Seems odd to me, but I guess it effects the radio reception.
that means you have very strong signals for them systems. Try a paperclip for an antenna. then turn off ATT, what antenna are you using?

eyes00only

Simulcast has become a curse for me! Still experimenting. There is a lot in the Advanced Settings that is beyond
my knowledge. Some have suggested changing the Advanced DSP Settings to:
DSP - 48
ADC - minus 2
DAC - 0

Jimbo876

Simulcast has become a curse for me! Still experimenting. There is a lot in the Advanced Settings that is beyond
my knowledge. Some have suggested changing the Advanced DSP Settings to:
DSP - 48
ADC - minus 2
DAC - 0

I'll have to get better acquainted with the radio before I go messing around with the settings. For now it seems to do a good job.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna.
Try the stock antenna on it...reason being is the RS800 antenna has gain which is hurting your situation. too much signal acts just like to too little except you will have good signal strength but poor reception as the radio is clipping the overpowering signal.

Jimbo876

Try the stock antenna on it...reason being is the RS800 antenna has gain which is hurting your situation. too much signal acts just like to too little except you will have good signal strength but poor reception as the radio is clipping the overpowering signal.

Okay I'll go back to the stock antenna and give it a try with the (ATT) on and off and see how that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.