Need help with WINE and installing a WIN program

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Need help.....I am using my Linux (MX Linux) computer. I installed WINE. I also downloaded the Windows program "Freescan" so I can program my scanner. I unzipped the file, and can't get WINE to cooperate.....I keep getting errors:

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'FreeSCAN.lblSiteNote:_Label27' (179) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.

Apparently the program installed OK with WINE, it just wont run. I am pretty clueless about all this and never used WINE before. Error doesnt tell me how to fix problem. ANy ideas????

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
A'ight, lemme look into it.
I'll see if I can get it going in my VM.
Don't have a scanner to program though.
What kind of cable is it? Serial? USB?
Also, what scanner(s) will you be programming with it?

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Okay, just a quick follow up, I was able to get it to run in my VM running MX Linux, but before I can give you a write up, I need to know what version of Wine you are using, run the command below and click on the about tab.

Code:
winecfg

If you are running Wine 6.5 (the version that the MX Packate Installer installed (also known as wine-staging) then you should already be good to go, but will need to do a few extra steps.

Screenshot_MX Linux SDR [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox_4.png

If you already have this, I can give you a quick quick run down of what to do, but you might have to fill in a few of the blanks and click the next boxes along the way.

Without any particular explanation, just copy/paste each line one by one and hit yes/okay to everything except one thing.

Code:
sudo apt install winetricks
winetricks annihilate

(!!!!WARNING! HIT NO ON NEXT STEP IF IT ASKS YOU TO INSTALL MONO!!!!)
WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
(SAY NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017
(will take a moment to finish)
winetricks dotnet40
(dotnet40 will take a while to install)

(Reinstall the FreeSCAN/fssetup exe file)

You should be able to run the software now...hopefully, if you already had Wine 6.5

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
A'ight, lemme look into it.
I'll see if I can get it going in my VM.
Don't have a scanner to program though.
What kind of cable is it? Serial? USB?
Also, what scanner(s) will you be programming with it?
The program "Freescan" will (and is) install(ed) but when I try to run it by typing at terminal "wine freescan" I get that error, or actually here is the WHOLE error:
bob@mx:~
$ wine freescan
002c:err:seh:check_bpf_jit_enable BPF JIT is not enabled in the kernel, enable it to reduce syscall emulation overhead.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 6.5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
00f0:err:seh:check_bpf_jit_enable BPF JIT is not enabled in the kernel, enable it to reduce syscall emulation overhead.
00f8:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'FreeSCAN.lblSiteNote:_Label27' (179) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters, System.Boolean wrapExceptions) [0x00029] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceMono (System.Boolean nonPublic, System.Boolean wrapExceptions) [0x00095] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean wrapExceptions, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache) [0x00009] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Boolean wrapExceptions, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) [0x00027] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.Activator.CreateInstance[T] () [0x00015] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyProject+MyForms.Create__Instance__[T] (T Instance) [0x0006c] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyProject+MyForms.get_lblSiteNote () [0x00000] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm () [0x00006] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun () [0x00010] in <3dbea37b2f88402a85d24c5d4307d5a8>:0
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run (System.String[] commandLine) [0x00001] in <3dbea37b2f88402a85d24c5d4307d5a8>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyApplication.Main (System.String[] Args) [0x00012] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'FreeSCAN.lblSiteNote:_Label27' (179) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters, System.Boolean wrapExceptions) [0x00029] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceMono (System.Boolean nonPublic, System.Boolean wrapExceptions) [0x00095] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean wrapExceptions, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache) [0x00009] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Boolean wrapExceptions, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) [0x00027] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at System.Activator.CreateInstance[T] () [0x00015] in <3d7a9349295c42b6abb3487b4473a6b8>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyProject+MyForms.Create__Instance__[T] (T Instance) [0x0006c] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyProject+MyForms.get_lblSiteNote () [0x00000] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at FreeSCAN.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm () [0x00006] in <5785efc31ab2444e8840b6010879c762>:0
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun () [0x00010] in <3dbea37b2f88402a85d24c5d4307d5a8>:0

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run (System.String[] commandLine) [0x00001] in <3dbea37b2f88402a85d24c5d4307d5a8>:0

Cable is a USB cable. Scanners are Uniden BCD996P2 & BCT15X.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Okay, just a quick follow up, I was able to get it to run in my VM running MX Linux, but before I can give you a write up, I need to know what version of Wine you are using, run the command below and click on the about tab.

Code:
winecfg

If you are running Wine 6.5 (the version that the MX Packate Installer installed (also known as wine-staging) then you should already be good to go, but will need to do a few extra steps.

View attachment 111419

If you already have this, I can give you a quick quick run down of what to do, but you might have to fill in a few of the blanks and click the next boxes along the way.

Without any particular explanation, just copy/paste each line one by one and hit yes/okay to everything except one thing.

Code:
winetricks annihilate

(SAY NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017
winetricks dotnet40

You should be able to run the software now...hopefully, if you already had Wine 6.5
OK I have WINE 6.5. But I don't get as far as the sign on screen to Freescan....just that LONG error....

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

Code:
winecfg

View attachment 111419

Code:
winetricks annihilate

(SAY NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017
winetricks dotnet40

Cable is a USB cable. Scanners are Uniden BCD996P2 & BCT15X. WINE version is 6.5

OK Everything went thru but when I re-install the fssetup.exe file I got error saying I need .NET Framework 4.0.......but I might have installed a LATER VERSION the other day! According to picture below.....How would I un install any .NET version I have and re-install the proper one? Here is what I have installed for .NET: Looks like version 5.0.402.......How would I un install this?
$ dotnet --info
.NET SDK (reflecting any global.json):
Version: 5.0.402
Commit: e9d3381880

Runtime Environment:
OS Name: debian
OS Version: 10
OS Platform: Linux
RID: debian.10-x64
Base Path: /usr/share/dotnet/sdk/5.0.402/

Host (useful for support):
Version: 5.0.11
Commit: f431858f8b

.NET SDKs installed:
5.0.402 [/usr/share/dotnet/sdk]

.NET runtimes installed:
Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 5.0.11 [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]
Microsoft.NETCore.App 5.0.11 [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]

To install additional .NET runtimes or SDKs:
.NET Downloads (Linux, macOS, and Windows)

Here are the "SDK's and Runtimes" installed in case you need this info:

$ dotnet --list-sdks
5.0.402 [/usr/share/dotnet/sdk]
$ dotnet --list-runtimes
Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 5.0.11 [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]
Microsoft.NETCore.App 5.0.11 [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Attachments

• NET.png
    NET.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

Code:
winecfg

View attachment 111419

Code:
winetricks annihilate

(SAY NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017
winetricks dotnet40

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Here is what I have installed for .NET: Looks like version 5.0.402.......How would I un install this?
Looks like you installed the .NET SDK for Linux. I didn't even know something that ridiculous even existed. What you need is to install the dotnet40 into wine. The windows version into the Wine prefix, becuase Windows software needs Windows versions of things. I don't know exactly how to unistall the .NET SDK for Linux that you got from that link, but hopefully something as simple as

Code:
sudo apt remove dotnet-sdk-5.0

The good news is, is that if you don't end up uninstalling the SDK version for Linux, I don't think its going to do anything abnormal to your system, but knowing Microsoft, they probably found a way to bake some telemetry into it anyways.

To get what you need up and running, please re-run the steps I had listed earlier.

Code:

winetricks annihilate

#(!!!!WARNING! HIT NO ON NEXT STEP IF IT ASKS YOU TO INSTALL MONO!!!!)

#(CLICK NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017
#(will take a moment to finish)

winetricks dotnet40
#(dotnet40 will take a while to install)

#(Reinstall the FreeSCAN/fssetup exe file by double clicking on it, going through the setup)

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Looks like you installed the .NET SDK for Linux. I didn't even know something that ridiculous even existed. What you need is to install the dotnet40 into wine. The windows version into the Wine prefix, becuase Windows software needs Windows versions of things. I don't know exactly how to unistall the .NET SDK for Linux that you got from that link, but hopefully something as simple as

Code:

The good news is, is that if you don't end up uninstalling the SDK version for Linux, I don't think its going to do anything abnormal to your system, but knowing Microsoft, they probably found a way to bake some telemetry into it anyways.

To get what you need up and running, please re-run the steps I had listed earlier.

Code:

winetricks annihilate

#(CLICK NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

#(Reinstall the FreeSCAN/fssetup exe file by double clicking on it, going through the setup)
OK Thanks I will try this again....hopefully I didnt add too much junk to the computer!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

Code:

Code:

winetricks annihilate

#(CLICK NO TO MONO)

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

OK I did uninstall NET ver 5.0 but when I run the setup for NET 4.0 I get the same pop up box again saying " Same or higher version of NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer" I went thru everything but still errors. If I run Wine Freescan I get this now:
$ wine freescan

002c:err:seh:check_bpf_jit_enable BPF JIT is not enabled in the kernel, enable it to reduce syscall emulation overhead.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 6.5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
002c:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (000000000022FD40 0000000000000000): stub
00f0:err:seh:check_bpf_jit_enable BPF JIT is not enabled in the kernel, enable it to reduce syscall emulation overhead.
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
when I run the setup for NET 4.0 I get the same pop up box again saying " Same or higher version of NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer"
How are you trying to install NET 4.0? Are you using that download from the FreeSCAN website? If so, we aren't using that method, that's what the winetricks dotnet40 command is supposed to do instead. If you followed the steps correctly, you should already have NET 4.0 installed in your wine prefix.

ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.
I think this just means that wine can't find the software you're trying to launch. winetricks annihilate should have deleted your prefix, so with it, the first installation of FreeSCAN. Try simply reinstalling the fssetup-218-b6.exe and see if it will run from there. When installed, in the MX start menu, you'll find a new Wine listing at the bottom right where all your Wine applications are installed, so should be able to launch from there.

Also, just fyi, if you need the hard path to the FreeSCAN.exe when its installed, it should be

Code:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/FreeSCAN/FreeSCAN.exe

.wine is a hidden folder in your home directory, and drive_c functions as C:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
How are you trying to install NET 4.0? Are you using that download from the FreeSCAN website? If so, we aren't using that method, that's what the winetricks dotnet40 command is supposed to do instead. If you followed the steps correctly, you should already have NET 4.0 installed in your wine prefix.

I think this just means that wine can't find the software you're trying to launch. winetricks annihilate should have deleted your prefix, so with it, the first installation of FreeSCAN. Try simply reinstalling the fssetup-218-b6.exe and see if it will run from there. When installed, in the MX start menu, you'll find a new Wine listing at the bottom right where all your Wine applications are installed, so should be able to launch from there.

Also, just fyi, if you need the hard path to the FreeSCAN.exe when its installed, it should be

Code:

OK Thanks....I will do that now and if theres any more issues I will come back tomorrow....thank you, again for all your help!!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

Code:

I have the NET 4.0 executable file in my Downloads directory.....I install, or TRY to install by doing "Wine dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe" and It comes back with that pop up box saying its already on computer or another version....but let me try what u suggest above... OK I have an endless loop now. If I try to re install freescan I get error saying I need NET 4.0....then when I try to install NET 4.0 from terminal I get same error pop up box!!!!! Is there any way I can start from scratch with this?

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Is there any way I can start from scratch with this?

Please delete dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe
Please copy each line individually and paste them into the terminal.
Code:

winetricks annihilate

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

wine fssetup-218-b6.exe

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Please delete dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe
Please copy each line individually and paste them into the terminal.
Code:

winetricks annihilate

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

wine fssetup-218-b6.exe

OK most of this all went thru without problem till very end but we can pick this up another time....I am out of ideas why this keeps failing.

Attachments

• bad file.png
    bad file.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 4

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
One of the most common CLR errors is "CLR Error 80004005," which occurs on Windows systems during the start-up process. This error is generally caused by having more than one . NET framework installed on the system at one time. ... NET frameworks can work simultaneously on a system, some have compatibility issues.
The problem was a clash with Wine-Mono and .NET 4.0.

When you ran wine for the first time, you probably hit Install on the Wine Mono Installer. We don't want this version of Mono(a.k.a. .NET). Sadly, wine saves this to a cache directory and never asks you again when you make a new prefix. So, I am going to add a step to the very beginning. I did all the steps but hit Install and got the same error you did, and then I undid it by adding a step so I think this might actually work for you this time.

Code:
rm ~/.cache/wine/*

winetricks annihilate

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

wine fssetup-218-b6.exe

Well, just pick it up at your leisure, when you aren't overly frustrated with it any longer.

Screenshot_MX Linux SDR [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox_5.png

Remember, just say no to mono.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The problem was a clash with Wine-Mono and .NET 4.0.

When you ran wine for the first time, you probably hit Install on the Wine Mono Installer. We don't want this version of Mono(a.k.a. .NET). Sadly, wine saves this to a cache directory and never asks you again when you make a new prefix. So, I am going to add a step to the very beginning. I did all the steps but hit Install and got the same error you did, and then I undid it by adding a step so I think this might actually work for you this time.

Code:
rm ~/.cache/wine/*

winetricks annihilate

winetricks vcrun2017

winetricks dotnet40

wine fssetup-218-b6.exe

Well, just pick it up at your leisure, when you aren't overly frustrated with it any longer.

View attachment 111510

Remember, just say no to mono.
OK Thanks for your patience! I didnt think this would take up so much of your time. But I will try this again!!! I will let you know how it goes.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
SUCCESS! Freescan running so now I gotta get the cable connected and get computer communicating with radio but thats all on me now. It's just a matter of selecting the right com port. So I will attempt this next.....

Attachments

• freescanpic.png
    freescanpic.png
    396 KB · Views: 4

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
So I connected the scanner to computer and ran dmsg....and it looks like scanner is recognized. USB acm device.....The program Freescan runs perfectly and connects to the Radio Reference site. But I have to research how to get it communicating....In the Freescan scanner setup tab, in the com port drop down box there's only com1 and com2 and naturally none of those work. And there is a detect option which doesnt work. I think since its a Windows program, it will only see com ports not tty. Right now I am searching on how to get computer and scanner (via cable that came with scanner) to communicate.

Attachments

• BCD996P2 device.png
    BCD996P2 device.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 3

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Close the software and try this. Going to symlink ttyACM0 to com5 see if that works. If not, may have to do a wine regedit.

Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com5

Status
Not open for further replies.