need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryfund

bought new radio shack scanner triple trunking. Looking for someone in the Sarasota Florida area who can program the trunking unit for sarasota fire and PD. Not ooking for a favor I am willing to pay. please email terryfund@verizon.net
thanks

sjlamb

it is a triple trunking pro 163 scanner which I was told would work with the Sarasota trunk system.

What you were told and the actual facts are at odds with one another. Click here to look at the database for the Sarasota County System: Sarasota County Public Safety Trunking System, Sarasota County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Now... look under the columes titled "Mode". Anything that is denoted with a "D" means that those comms are in digital voice. The Pro-163 cannot do digital.

Anything NOT marked with a "D" can be received with you Pro-163.

kayleesdad

take it back to RS if that is where you bought it, they have a good return policy. bought a pro-82 (conventional only scanner)from them that of course the RS seller said was pre-programmed with Pinellas fire/med/pd departments. and then I joined RR and learned something.

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the update. I thought I bought the right one. Any suggestions for a good scanner that won't cost a fortune

Any scanner that does digital trunking will work just fine.
The Radio-Shack Pro-106 and GRE-500 (which are very similar) will both work. I don't know if RS will refund money or just allow an exchange, but if they do refund money you should check out scannermaster.com. Also, the PSR-500 from GRE is $50 less than the PRO-106 on scannermaster.

On the Uniden side, they have the BCD396XT and the BCD996XT (base version of the 396)

sjlamb

Any scanner that does digital trunking will work just fine.
The Radio-Shack Pro-106 and GRE-500 (which are very similar) will both work. I don't know if RS will refund money or just allow an exchange, but if they do refund money you should check out scannermaster.com. Also, the PSR-500 from GRE is $50 less than the PRO-106 on scannermaster.

On the Uniden side, they have the BCD396XT and the BCD996XT (base version of the 396)

Actually... the Pro-106 is on sale at Radio Shack until 02/27/10 for $399, which makes it $49 less than ScannerMaster's PSR-500 price and $100 less than their Pro-106 price.

Keep in mind, however, that the GRE includes both a wall charger and programming cable, whereas the Pro-106 price does not include either one.

sjlamb

Thanks so much ou guys are really helpful. When i buy the right one can anyone help with the programing of sarasota fd and pd

I'd be more than happy to help if you get either the Uniden 396XT or 996XT. I don't have any of the software for either the GRE or Radio Shack models and I have zero interest in trying to program any of these puppies by hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.