Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello

What type of scanner do I need to run 800mhz freq's ( like 853.88750 and many others ) and its called western area regional radio for a small town in GA. I got 2 older scanners but would like to upgrade

THANKS

captclint

Mentor
Hello

What type of scanner do I need to run 800mhz freq's ( like 853.88750 and many others ) and its called western area regional radio for a small town in GA. I got 2 older scanners but would like to upgrade
Welcome to RR. Almost any new scanner will cover that band.
Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
GRE Radios - The RadioReference Wiki
The only significant consideration is how close you live to radio, cell, FM, Pager towers, or if you are in the city. GRE and Radio Shack(mostly made by GRE) tend to overload in the presence of strong radio signals. Uniden does a better job, but they will not pull out weak signals as well as GRE. Of course, you will need to know if the system is digital, which will greatly restrict the choice and increase the cost.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello

THANKS
Is this the system you are referring to?
Western Area Regional Radio System Authority (WARRS) Trunking System, Carollton, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

If so, that is a P25 (digital) system. It has two sites, one of which uses frequencies in the 700Mhz band. In order to receive both sites, you'd need one of the more current digital trunk-trackers. Older models such as the Pro-96 or BC296D aren't able to cover the 700Mhz frequencies.

Current models include:
Handhelds: GRE's PSR-500 (which Radio Shack sells, with mostly cosmetic differences as the Pro-106) and Uniden's BCD396XT.
Base/mobile: GRE's PSR-600 (Radio Shack's version is the Pro-197) and Uniden's BCD996XT.
The previous Uniden models, BCD396T & BCD996T, would also work.

Two other scanners that would work would be GRE's PSR-800 or Uniden's Home Patrol-1. These two scanners have the RadioReference database loaded in them. For the Home Patrol, you select the types of agencies you want to monitor (police, fire, ems, etc), then enter the zip code or city name for your location, and the scanner pulls the available information from the stored data in the scanner. The PSR-800 uses a menu driven selection to accomplish the same thing. (I don't have one, so not sure about exact steps required.)

Clint's already pointed out some of the differences between the GRE scanners and Uniden. The GRE's are more sensitive, but tend to overload when used near other sources of interference, such as cell towers and broadcast stations, That's been my experience as well with the PSR-500. However, out away from the city, that's less of an issue. You might also check in the Georgia forum, and see if anyone else is in that area, and has had better results with one model over another.

K4AOL

Premium Subscriber
The BCD396T is a good budget radio, theres free software and computer controled. Had one but had to sell to get the Home Patrol.

N8IAA

Hello What type of scanner do I need to run 800mhz freq's ( like 853.88750 and many others ) and its called western area regional radio for a small town in GA. I got 2 older scanners but would like to upgradeTHANKS

Are you in Caroll County? Which city are you wanting to monitor? Have you posted in the Georgia state forum further down the Forums page? We can answer your questions better there:) But, for general info, you will need at least a RS Pro-106/GRE PSR-500 handheld unit, Uniden BCD396xt handheld unit/BCD996XT base unit. Are you familiar with programming software? This is the best way to program the scanners. If you are not familiar with programming this type of scanner, we can help you in the GA forum:)
HTH,
Larry

SCPD

QRT
Thank you all for the help. Im in Haralson County ( Buchanan Ga ) trying to listen to Buchanan or and Bremen. I can pick up the sheriff dept but not city units.

SCPD

QRT
Are you in Caroll County? Which city are you wanting to monitor? Have you posted in the Georgia state forum further down the Forums page? We can answer your questions better there:) But, for general info, you will need at least a RS Pro-106/GRE PSR-500 handheld unit, Uniden BCD396xt handheld unit/BCD996XT base unit. Are you familiar with programming software? This is the best way to program the scanners. If you are not familiar with programming this type of scanner, we can help you in the GA forum:)
HTH,
Larry

Im sorry but I have no experience in programming a digital scanner. I can program the older ones but never touch the new fancy scanners but im willing to learn.

N8IAA

Im sorry but I have no experience in programming a digital scanner. I can program the older ones but never touch the new fancy scanners but im willing to learn.

Well, tater259, you'll have to learn. Haralson is on the WARRS system. SO, FD, and cities. My suggestion is the PSR-500, or the newer PSR-800. They handle all the new systems quite well. www.starrsoft will get you Win500 for the PSR-500. The PSR-800 comes packaged with software for free. It includes the whole database here on radio reference for the US and Canada. It updates every Saturday so you can keep up with any changes. Most find, that you can add the updates right to the configured software and to the radio. Again, come visit us in the GA state forum further down the forums page:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.