Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritter6788

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I just got a new scanner, (Radio Shack pro 106), and I have no idea what I'm doing. I am now aware of the software that makes this a lot easier but I didn't buy the cable to connect to the computer and for now I would just like to scan a few local objects. I thought I programmed it correctly but after pressing scan I can't get it to pick up anything. I'm in Gregg County TX and I programmed the Gregg county sheriffs dept and the City of Longview, (which is a trunking system). I just can't get it to pick up anything after letting it scan for several hours. Please help a newbie out. Thank you.

ritter6788

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help my friend. Honestly all this stuff is over my head I guess. I thought you could just buy a scanner and it would scan and pick up frequencies and I wasn't aware of any programming to make it work. I read the link you posted but that still doesn't make a lot of sense to me and it looks a lot like the directions in the book, which I tried to follow but I have not been able to pick up a thing. I pressed PGM, F1 (new), TGRP for the City of Longview Trunking system, and entered in all the codes listed on this site...nothing. For the Harrison County and City of Marshall that I'm in now I entered; PGM, New, CONV, entered in the frequency and saved...nothing. I'm going to erase it all and go back to square one. Again thanks for the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I just got a new scanner, (Radio Shack pro 106), and I have no idea what I'm doing. I am now aware of the software that makes this a lot easier but I didn't buy the cable to connect to the computer and for now I would just like to scan a few local objects. I thought I programmed it correctly but after pressing scan I can't get it to pick up anything. I'm in Gregg County TX and I programmed the Gregg county sheriffs dept and the City of Longview, (which is a trunking system). I just can't get it to pick up anything after letting it scan for several hours. Please help a newbie out. Thank you.
Hi Ritter, welcome to the site

As Mike has already indicated, you can program the Pro-106 by hand, but it will go much faster and smoother via software, which, of course, requires the cable as well. One of the biggest advantages to software, especially for a new user, is that you can "see" more of how the system is programmed, all at one time, rather than the one line at a time that's visible from the display on the scanner itself.

I know there are several members in the Longview/Gregg County area with either Pro-106, Pro-197, PSR-500, or PSR-600. All of these are made by GRE (GRE makes the 106 & 197 for Radio Shack), and all program exactly the same way, using the same software. You might drop down to the Texas Forum & introduce yourself, see if you can hook up with somebody in the area who can get you going with a shared file.

DickH

When all else fails, read the instructions.

ritter6788

Premium Subscriber
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Thanks for your input, Dick. It's people like you that make forums worth coming to.

I followed the instructions and still can't pick up anything. I'm not trying to get someone to read the manual to me. I've been reading it and following the directions. Still can't pick up anything.

keepnup37

Premium Subscriber
Im ready

Hey, people first day on! and looking for some help: okay got the pro-197 with a roof mont ant, and 20-047 programming cable and a subscription to here whats my best bet now for downloading a good software?

Highpockets

Ghawkman56

I recently purchased and manually programmed a GRE600. I agree the process is somewhat time consuming. However, I learned a great deal about the features and functions of the radio, which may be neglected or overlooked f using programming software. In addition, it does take some time to learn the software, given the state of many software manuals. I decided instead of taking time learning software, I wanted to focus on learning the functionality of my radio.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Ghawkman56

I also found an advantage when programming trunked objects. By using a Wildcard after your enter a TSYS, you can then listen to the frequencies scanned, and only saved those frequencies which are of interest to you, instead of dumping all frequencies to your radio, via the software.

Gary

Highpockets

I also found an advantage when programming trunked objects. By using a Wildcard after your enter a TSYS, you can then listen to the frequencies scanned, and only saved those frequencies which are of interest to you, instead of dumping all frequencies to your radio, via the software.

Gary

Frequencies scanned, don't you mean talk groups. :)

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I have a talkgroup with a wildcard tgid always scanning so I can pick up new stuff in the area. Usually it's junk like code enforcement or animal control, but I also found some narcotics and the bomb squad--none of which was in the rr database. Something to think about.

I strongly recommend you visit a R/S store near where you live/work. Ask if they would provide the service you wish. My first attack would be to ask if they offer programming services for your specific model and be sure to state that you require both trunking and non-trunking programming. This insures that the person doing the programming knows what he's doing with regard to the trunking stations. Ask their fee and what that fee pays for. Based on their answer, if they will program what you want and you can get some conventional stations (non-trunking) programmed as well, go for it. Don't be cheap. If the cost doesn't scare you off, ask what the turn-around is expected to be. You can jump at the offer or thank them and try a different store but if the second store is essentially the same cost (e.g. they all charge the same amount for a specified service) then go with the one closest to your home/place of business that can complet the job in the timeframe you require. Be sure to have them DEMONSTRATE that what you're paying for DOES work. It wouldn't hurt to do some reading about what trunking is so that you get a feeling for the fact that the programming for conventional and trunking systems are NOT done the same way, etc.

Ken

For longview you need to set your scanner to P25 auto put in the control channels the ones in red and blue and nothing else the voice channels well play of the control channels which are the frequencies you see in black.

As for the Sheriff that should be easy just press the 1.)PGM Key, 2.) Press CONV/F3 then program the frequencies for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.