• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman5000

I work for a small ambulance service. We are currently using the VHF system as our primary radio and have the 800Mhz radios pretty much in storage for right now. We currently have EF Johnson 800Mhz radios that we recieved from the all grants about 4-5 years ago. Several agencies around us (mainly police) are currently using the EF Johnsons as their primary radio systems. I was wanting to get some opinions about whether we should keep the EF Johnsons or attempt to purchase Motorola XTS 2500's and use them. I would greatly appreciated any feedback.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
It really depends on the equipment and whether or not it is compatible with the M system. If they are, no need to get new equipment, just have the owner of the TRS do your programming. Also, it would be good to keep your VHF system up and intact for those time you cannot communicate on the TRS (for what ever reason).

MTS2000des

is your VHF system narrowbanded? are your licenses properly modified/renewed for narrowband? all you infrastructure (repeaters/base/remote RX/voter/comparators) and subscriber radios capable of narrowband? If not, NOW is the time to get this done. FCC deadline is Jan 2013.

Your EFJ's may work on your Moto 800MHz system IF they are properly flashed. EF Johnson is also one of the few subscriber radios available for Smartnet/Smartzone (type II 3600baud CC both analog and digital voice) operation that aren't from mother M.

The label on the rear of the radios has a model number, and from that I can find out what options were ordered with the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.