need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Darrel - I'd encourage you to learn about this scanner yourself. We have a wiki article with lots of links (which are always blue) to help you along

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

I'd start by getting a USB cable (no the cable with the scanner is not USB) and getting the communications going between the scanner and PC. You can use FreeScan as it's freeware, then move onto something else later if you want. These topics are covered in links found in the above article

Once you have the comms going, folks can send you a FreeScan file for your interests. You can then clone it (always save the previous version or original first) and change it around to fit your needs. This is the way many of us learned how to program with these scanners.

HTH...Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There may be lots of articles, but people learn in different ways. Some by reading, some by watching, some by doing, and some by trial and error. I ave been listening to public service since the days of a single channel on a tunable radio. The 396xt is especially confusing with the quick keys for some and one of the lost arts of ham radio amateurs is being an Elmer. Did you learn everything without help, ka3jjz?

Good luck finding a real "Elmer", darley696. I hope you have many hour of good listening.

teufler

elkhart cty indiana

HERE IS A FILE for Elkhart Cty. It is a Freescan file so you will need to download and install the program. If you have a computer that has a serial port, your inluck. If not you need a usb to serial converter or you need toi buy, a usb program cable. Perhaps you have access to a serial port program that you can load the downloaded file. The file is zipped so an unzipping utility will be needed. Winzip or 7-zip are two of the programs that many of the RR users install.

Attachments

• ELKHART.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Program it in by hand. You'll learn how to use your scanner that way too. Good luck with your new scanner. I have one and I like it a whole lot. Great little piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.