BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech1

I have the DMR Upgrade Key Code for my BCD996P2. What do I do next ? How do I enter the Key Code ? Does it get entered into the scanner itself ? or the Programming Software ?

Last edited:

JamesO

You enter it into the scanner using the big knob as I recall. You also need to enter the - as well.

You will need the latest firmware update to the radio, if you do not have the latest firmware you may not find the DMR menu.

I did not see info specific to the 996P2, but see this for the 436/536, overall procedure is pretty much the same - DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Tech1

You enter it into the scanner using the big knob as I recall. You also need to enter the - as well.

You will need the latest firmware update to the radio, if you do not have the latest firmware you may not find the DMR menu.

I did not see info specific to the 996P2, but see this for the 436/536, overall procedure is pretty much the same - DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 <

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded the free Sentinel software. Should I send the ARC-XT Pro Software back ? or do I still need it ? Also thanks for your help.

kmi8dy

i have the 996p2 and did not have to enter the " - " , and everything works fine. ??????? also i used the 4 and 6 buttons to move to the next digit or to back it up to correct.

Last edited:

Tech1

Sentinel software will not do anything for your 996P2. Depending on which of the two versions you downloaded, one version of Sentinel is for the Home Patrol-1 & -2. The other version is for the 436HP & 536HP. Neither will program your 996P2. Since you are going to be using DMR, the only two software packages that will do that for your BCD996P2 are ARC-XT & ProScan.

I don't have the 996P2 either. But presuming it's menu is similar to it's hand-held sibling, the 325P2, access the menu, then select Settings, then select Upgrade to get to the point where you can enter the Upgrade Key. As noted, enter ALL of the key, including the dashes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The BCD996P2 is the sister scanner to the BCD325P2 and should have the same menu selections. I did purchased the ARC-XT Pro Software recently. I have been emailing with Uniden Tech Support as well and asking them questions. I was told to go to: Menu, then Settings, then Upgrade, then Upgrade DMR. There is no "Upgrade" or "Upgrade DMR" on the Menu selections. The Scanner"s Firmware has to be updated from 1.05.02 to 1.07.06 for the Upgrade to work or the Key Code will not work.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
was told to go to: Menu, then Settings, then Upgrade, then Upgrade DMR. There is no "Upgrade" or "Upgrade DMR" on the Menu selections. I was told to download the Sentinel software because the Scanner"s Firmware has to be updated from 1.05.02 to 1.07.06 for the Upgrade to work or the Key Code will not work.

As others have told you, Sentinel does nothing for your scanner - it will not work for your scanner - it will not update your scanner's firmware - it will not even recognize your scanner.

Also, the ARC-XT-Pro software will not update the firmware in your scanner.

All of the info necessary for you to upgrade your scanner is on this Uniden page. Read it very, VERY carefully, and follow the instructions to the letter:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Tech1

I have seen that page and bookmarked it. I know that the ARC-XT Pro Software will not up date the Firmware its only for programming.

Tech1

Now I have a new problem: The Instructions tell me to: (1) On the scanner press Menu. (2) Select Settings --> Upgrades, then press E. (3) Scroll to DMR/MotoTRBO or ProVoice, then press E. (4) Using the scroll knob to Select each digit and the 4 and 6 keys to move left or right, enter each digit in the unlock Key. After each group of Digits, then press E. I have no Upgrades option on my Settings option on the menu. What I am doing wrong ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now I have a new problem: The Instructions tell me to: (1) On the scanner press Menu. (2) Select Settings --> Upgrades, then press E. (3) Scroll to DMR/MotoTRBO or ProVoice, then press E. (4) Using the scroll knob to Select each digit and the 4 and 6 keys to move left or right, enter each digit in the unlock Key. After each group of Digits, then press E. I have no Upgrades option on my Settings option on the menu. What I am doing wrong ?

If you don't see the upgrade option in the menu, you still have not updated the scanner's firmware.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You have not updated the firmware to the version needed for DMR & ProVoice support.

Install the firmware updater that you loaded (BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip in your post before this one).
Run the installer, and select your scanner from the list be sure to do this after connecting the scanner to your pc). See BCD996P2FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Once the firmware update is installed (check the version in Settings by selecting 'See Scanner Info, then choosing 'Firmware version; you need to be at 1.07.06), and the scanner restarts, you'll have the Upgrade option.

Tech1

I downloaded the BC_VUP3 software and opened the setup.exe file and got the following message: An error occurred attempting to install BC_VUP3. Next ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the BC_VUP3 software and opened the setup.exe file and got the following message: An error occurred attempting to install BC_VUP3. Next ?

Did you follow the instructions to un-zip the download before trying to run it?

Tech1

At this point the DMR Key means nothing. I got the other following messages: Setup_BC_VUP.msi File Not Found Check the file name and try again and I did several times. "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it". I wasted $60.00 on this garbage.

Tech1

The only thing that I have not done yet, is stand on my head. I'm doing something really wrong. Maybe the software does not like Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.