Need help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger1396

Hi all, I'm a collector of vintage scanners , I recently came across a Peterson radio company incorporated . The scanner is called an HL 44 I do not know what the IF shift is for the scanner .. Tried both IF shifts Crystals for 162.55 MHz nothing ! Your expertise would be very helpful in this matter thank you guys
Chris ..

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh geez, I remember that radio, it comes to mind that was made in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I couldn't tell you where to get crystals for that puppy. That's a rare one but I would keep searching for crystals in all the regular places. I too would like to see some of your vintage scanners. I guess I have a few of my own but they're just in a pile in the garage in what I call the scanner Cemetery.

I'd like to see some old sonar radios, Robin or was it Robyn radios, Sears and Roebuck, JCPenney and a few of the other oddball radios. What were those scanners again that Bob Grove made, it's on the tip of my tongue, I'll remember.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Looks like Peterson used the same type crystal as some Regency's. HL 44 shows 10.7 MHz IF. Check out this site:

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
<SNIP>

I'd like to see some old sonar radios, Robin or was it Robyn radios, Sears and Roebuck, JCPenney and a few of the other oddball radios. What were those scanners again that Bob Grove made, it's on the tip of my tongue, I'll remember.

You are making me feel old; with your mention of SONAR Radios.

I have three Sonar radios.

1) A Sonar FR101 Low Vhf with Slide rule tuning.
It's bigger than a shoe box, it kept me warm in the winter, because it uses tubes.

Two all solid state radios:
2) A Sonar FR103S HI Vhf 3 crystals, tuneable AM
3) A Sonar FR 106SA Low Vhf 3crystals, tuneable AM

ALL were bought new in the 70s at Lafayette Electronics in Cincinnati, and I still have them!

At the time the FR series (Xtal controlled) were the latest OOH! AAH! thing in scanners, because they were small enough that you could easily pick them up, and walk around with them.

None of the FR Series actually scanned.
The Vhf channel you were listening to was selected by a slide switch on the side of the case, and the AM frequency was selected by turning a dial.
The selectivity was very poor.
The band width was wider than a barn door.

The FR101 tended to drift, and had to be retuned about once a week or so,
I used the FR 101 until a few years ago, when one of the tubes gave out.
Any body have a 6BG7?

In the mid 70's I bought a"scanning radio" thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog.
The catalog showed a Sears branded radio in the picture, but what I got was a BearCat 220.
You can see on the front there is a raised area where different brand labels can be applied.
At the time, I didn't know about the BearCat brand, and I was concerned that it might not be "Sears Quality".

Anyway, Can I post pictures on here?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You are making me feel old; with your mention of SONAR Radios.

I have three Sonar radios.

1) A Sonar FR101 Low Vhf with Slide rule tuning.
It's bigger than a shoe box, it kept me warm in the winter, because it uses tubes.

Two all solid state radios:
2) A Sonar FR103S HI Vhf 3 crystals, tuneable AM
3) A Sonar FR 106SA Low Vhf 3crystals, tuneable AM

ALL were bought new in the 70s at Lafayette Electronics in Cincinnati, and I still have them!

At the time the FR series (Xtal controlled) were the latest OOH! AAH! thing in scanners, because they were small enough that you could easily pick them up, and walk around with them.

None of the FR Series actually scanned.
The Vhf channel you were listening to was selected by a slide switch on the side of the case, and the AM frequency was selected by turning a dial.
The selectivity was very poor.
The band width was wider than a barn door.

The FR101 tended to drift, and had to be retuned about once a week or so,
I used the FR 101 until a few years ago, when one of the tubes gave out.
Any body have a 6BG7?

In the mid 70's I bought a"scanning radio" thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog.
The catalog showed a Sears branded radio in the picture, but what I got was a BearCat 220.
You can see on the front there is a raised area where different brand labels can be applied.
At the time, I didn't know about the BearCat brand, and I was concerned that it might not be "Sears Quality".

Anyway, Can I post pictures on here?
Sure just hit attach files and pluck them out of your downloads. Pick full image. I always knew that the Sears and JCPenney radios were rebranded it was just the idea of having their name on a radio...

People have no idea that Sears and Roebuck was yesteryears Amazon. Huge catalogs throughout the year with just about anything you can imagine for sale by mail order with a reputation for quality.

Tech792

I had a 4 ch portable crystal scanner I purchased from Sears back in the 80's. It was actually manufactured by Midland.
Getting back to the OP's issue, it could be that the scanner itself isn't receiving. Maybe the receiver is dead from age.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
LOL !! I do have a working Robin scanner by the way I will have to put a picture up !
You are going way back, and you are going rare LOL. I was so much into this stuff and all the different brands and options when I was in my early teens in the late 60s.

ranger1396

I was trying to put picks up but radio references telling me they are too big very sad ! Tried to put the pics and attached files but will not go ! It's telling me that the file is too big .. I tried to zip it and it still telling me that the file is too big crazy !

Status
Not open for further replies.