Need ideas for 2005 Trailblazer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
OK, heres the deal. Been putting this off a long time, but the weather is getting nicer and tired of the jerry-rigged set-up i have now. I have a center console and the following equipment:

Radios:

(2) CDM-1250's and mics

Goal:

To not use remote heads. Is there a better place in the cab other than hanging off the center console on the passenger side?

Lights:

(6) head strobes (Clear)
(2) Mini Phantoms (Blue/Red)
(2) LIN4 LED's (Blue)
(1) 6x LED Custom Stick (Blue)
(1) 4 LED Sho-me stick (Blue)

Goal:

Using the top panel above the rearview (Where on-star would normally be) i want to mount 5 flush toggle switches and 5 momentary switches. Want to operate each set independently and change flash patterns. Is this the best location in the cab for this?

Ideas? Thoughts? Pictures? Will post as-is pictures momentarily.

Picture 1: Obvious
Picture 2: Only switch powering entire light system
Picture 3: Strobe Power Supply
Picture 4: Overhead Panel (Note: Started drilling and decided i should go to the pro's before continuing. )

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,379
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,162
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,069
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,798
Last edited:

colby4601

Why don't you want to use a remote head? That would be the easiest set up. The CDM head would fit pretty well right in front of the two cupholders under the A/C controls.

RolnCode3

If you are unwilling to use remote heads, then I say just blow your truck up. We have several 06 TB's, and there is just NO WAY to make those trucks work well without remote heads.

We actually put a Smart Siren and two Spectras in one of them and it looked good - because it was all remote mount equipment. We had to put everything on the headliner above the rearview mirror because there's no place else to put it all. Between the floor shifter, e-brake, and just cramped quarters, you run out of usable space very quickly.

The only other option I ever saw was mounting the radios BEHIND the center console where they are out of your view, but fit well. You would only be able to change channels, etc. when stopped because it would be so far out of your line of view. But, could probably be mounted securely.

As for the lighting equipment, I would suggest the Brookings switchbox or something similar. Small size, backlighting, lots of mounting choices. If you stick to the toggle switches, there's lots of places in the cab to put those. Mostly how convenient you want them. The facing above the stereo can be used, the lower dash panel below the steering wheel, etc. are places where there is fairly easy access to the backside, with convenient driver access.

Last edited:

KM4WLV

I would say remote mount also. With the vehicles that have a full console there aren't many options that don't cause intrusion to either the driver, or passenger side. And you could mount them on the back of the console but I would strongly advise against it. If for no other reason than it being a safety issue if you needed to change channels and actually having to turn & remove eye contact from the road.

Just my 2 cents.....

RolnCode3

There is actually a real console available for the TB. I think it's Havis-Shields. It requires permanent modification of the factory console. It'll cost a few hundred bucks when all's said and done, though.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
You can use the b-pillar, lower area, but you won't be able to change channels while driving. Both sides of the console work, and mounted to the steering wheel kick panel (not safe, it's right above your knees).

You can use the console bucket also.

Other than that, remote mounts are the best way to go. I'm considering a 110W Spectra or Orion VHF and will probably end up doing a remote install, as there's no space.
There's space for a remote head in front of the front cup holder.

You can try the Havis-Shields aswell, but you need to permanently cut the console right behind the shifter, losing the rear air vents and rear audio system/climate controls (not an issue unless you have an LT/LTZ)

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, in the process of ordering more cable. The rear seat area is going to be the central power source for everything. Took out most of the molding and kickplates. Once it is done, there wont be any (or as many) visable wires.

hamflying

Premium Subscriber
05 trailblazer

Here is my set up ... I am still working on the strobes and light bar issues. I made a control box with simple toggle spst switches and made it a remote mount under the steering wheel. Remote mount for the radios are the way to go. I have the control box in the right pocket in the rear of the truck. The cables are ran along the door under the carpet.....

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...520-my-new-mobile-setup-2005-trailblazer.html

HAVE A GOOD ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.