Need ideas for a beginner's radio receiver for SWLing broadcast bands

kc0bus

Hi,
I'm needing some ideas and suggestions for a beginner's/novice's shortwave broadcast bands receiver in the $200 to $400 or so price range. I'm mainly interested in tabletop models, but I'll consider all the common form factors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi @kc0bus,

Since you have a realistic price range for an entry-level shortwave receiver, you have probably already done a fair amount of investigating this topic. Have any models piqued your interest to give us an idea of what styles you like. For me, I have always turned to Tecsun receivers since they generally have a good reputation. If you think that you will stay in the hobby or even become an Amateur Radio operator one day, there is a large offering of secondhand “ham” equipment that would be good choices. You may have to widen your budget by a couple of hundred bucks but you would end up with better equipment (and in some cases better quality) if you look at Kenwood, ICOM, and Yaesu transceivers that have general coverage receivers. Any comments on what I have said so far?

<edit> Oh duh 🙄!!! You already are a ham. My absent minded mistake. Why not use ham equipment for SWL activities?

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hello again @kc0bus,

FWIW, after a lot of research and thought, I am looking to get the Tecsun PL-880 which is in the $170 price range. Extra 18650 batteries and a charger if you should go that route are about $15. I’m going to use this while traveling with the XYL since I cannot drive anymore as well as just relaxing at home, both with headphones, so I don’t disturb the XYL.

73, Dave K4EET

kc0bus

I've been out of ham radio for a very long time and thought I would get back into SWLing.

kc0bus

Hmm, I was looking at this very radio when I first started looking around. In general, how well does Tecsun compare with Sangean?

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I was looking at this very radio when I first started looking around. In general, how well does Tecsun compare with Sangean?
Well, I like Tecsun better but others will like Sangean, CC Crane, Eton, etc. The Tecsun line, for the most part, seems to have better specs and ergonomics. Others may chime in on the Tecsun versus Sangean comparison so let’s see what the consensus might be. 73, Dave K4EET

PACNWDude

My vote has gone to Tecsun for a while for one feature "ETM" Easy Tuning Mode. That alone has made me purchase several Tecsun radios to include the PL-360/365/368 and the PL-330 for listening to shortwave stations.

Besides that, I have also been getting old analog multi-band receivers from online auctions, Realistic Patrolman SW-60/CB-60, Astronaut 8, Zenith Transoceanic 3000, Wards Airline 8 Band IC, and others.

For getting started, something easy to use and program is recommended, so second the Tecsun with ETM function, radio will scan active signals and add them to memory.

Grunddiigg

Premium Subscriber
Hello again @kc0bus,

FWIW, after a lot of research and thought, I am looking to get the Tecsun PL-880 which is in the $170 price range. Extra 18650 batteries and a charger if you should go that route are about $15. I’m going to use this while traveling with the XYL since I cannot drive anymore as well as just relaxing at home, both with headphones, so I don’t disturb the XYL.

73, Dave K4EET
I've owned the PL-880 and you can't go wrong with it. The sound quality is very good as well.

I actually regret selling it.

Anon-co has them for a decent price.