Need ideas for mounting magnetic antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Getting everything from Radio Shack; the antenna (catalog #20-032), the universal mount (catalog # 15-924, model # UAM9000) and a 10 ft. section of mast (catalog #15-298, Antennacraft model # 1016-10).

My question would be, what can I use to affix the antenna to the top of the mast? I know that, the more DIY's here can come up with clever solutions but, I'd like to know if there's something commercially available I can readily order. Thanks.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Well you will have to come up with some kind of plate and radials to mount to the top of the mast. You will have to fabricate some method of fastening the plate and radials to the mast. A magnet mount would not have been my first choice for a base station antenna mount.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Well you will have to come up with some kind of plate and radials to mount to the top of the mast. You will have to fabricate some method of fastening the plate and radials to the mast. A magnet mount would not have been my first choice for a base station antenna mount.
Exactly! But, radials? The plate I kind of knew from threads I've read; a ground plane is needed when installing this type of antenna in a place other than a vehicle. About the antenna choice, I live in a mobile home. I've already have a tv antenna placed on an antenna mount, like the ones used to support satellite tv dishes. I wanted to get a 10ft. mast, place it on this mount, raise the tv antenna a place the magnetic one on top. I am worried that, with the weight of a proper antenna such as an Antennacraft ST2 and the tv antenna, with a wind blowing, would prove to be to much of a load and rip the whole thing off the roof?

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The plate needs to only be large enough to fit the magnetic mount. Attach radials to each of the four corners of the plate. Mount the plate to a pipe flange mount and stick the flange mount into the mast.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, my magnetic solution is starting to look more and more like what I should've use in the first place. Oh well...
Thanks for the suggestions!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Magnetic mount antennas never perform as well as direct-mount. Why compromise performance and increase expense when you could get a different antenna and mount it directly to the mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.