Need Information for Lee County, Ms. area

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuckinfuts68

Hello, I am needing information about scanning in the Lee County, Mississippi area. My Mom has been a listener for years. She has a Realistic Pro 2006. There has been a format change and her scanner won't receive transmissions anymore. Is there a new scanner that I can purchase for her so that she can once again listen. I am not extremely tech savy and would also need assistance programming a scanner for her if at all possible. Any help from someone local would be best but, if not, any help from anywhere would greatly be appreciated.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber

nuckinfuts68

Thanks, Milf. I see the BCD536HP is just enter the zip code and it's ready. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Do I need to purchase software? Scanner master says they will optimize it for a fee. Is that needed? My Mom has had her Pro 2006 since 1990. Is this scanner a model that will give her many years of service or will it be outdated in 5 or so years? She is not tech savy at all and just wants to listen. Sorry for so many questions, I am ready to buy this for her today.I just want to be sure that I am making the correct decision.

Thanks

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
That PRO-2006 is now only going to be useful for the things that are still conventional, like surrounding counties, fire tone out, US Forest Service, and aircraft. All the State agencies are on the MSWIN, Natchez Trace is P25, with Rangers encrypted most of the time, except for a few hours when Lee County SO takes over for them on dispatch and they run in the clear. There is software in the works for the HP's that I would consider essential to have. You also want to have internet access to update the HP's on a pretty regular basis with the changes we make to the DB information. There is a tad of a learning curve for these new scanners, but once you get the basics down... They are amazing. Get it optimized definitely, and spend a little time learning it so you can help her out with the updates etc. Also, if you can connect with any of our local folks, meet up and work things out in person. )

nuckinfuts68

I was referring to the new Uniden as being adequate for years to come. I know the Pro 2006 is outdated. I worded my question wrong. I don't want to buy her the Uniden and a few years from now it is not up to the job. Sorry bout that. Only one more question before I make the purchase....is the stock antenna adequate or do i need to upgrade?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Always go for better reception with better antenna. At the very least get the Radio Shack/GRE 800 MHz rubber duck, it really is awesome at pulling in signals. If you talking about setting this up as an "base" listening station, I would even put up an outdoor antenna if at all possible. The BCD436HP, and BCD536HP will be around for a very long time indeed, and will be valid scanners until they develop an Phase 3 for P25. That is still a good many years away.

bama9999

Since you're located in Guntown, the stock antenna will work fine for receiving the MSWIN system, which has a tower located at Saltillo. As Milf said, Lee county, as well as the city of Tupelo, uses the MSWIN system now. Lee county SO also still use their old analog frequency, and your mom could park her Pro2006 on that and not tie up the 536 with analog.

In addition to Lee county and Tupelo, you'll also be able to hear MHP, MDOT, F&W, MS Forestry, Itawamba county and a number of other agencies around that use MSWIN.

Not sure what Scanner Master does that it calls optimizing on these scanners. You can easily update the database, and firmware if it needs it, yourself for free. Personally, I wouldn't pay for any optimization, but that's a personal preference.

nuckinfuts68

Thanks bama9999.....I am buying this for my mom who lives in the middle of Tupelo. I already ordered the antenna from Radio Shack.

WPG

can he load someone else's KML? I am new to the software and scanner i maybe calling the file from the database the wrong name.

bama9999

WPG, I'm sure they could, but I'd figure that he'll want to setup things to his particular liking anyway, and Sentinel is easy, at least to me, to work with so he should be able to get things setup like he wants them in a short time on his own.

Tupelo also has a tower site, so I'm sure your mom will get good reception regardless of what antenna is used, but I agree the one from Radio Shack does a good job. I've got one that I used to use on a Pro106 and it worked well.

If you have more questions about programming, etc... after you get the 536, I'll be happy to help and I'm sure the others here will as well.

QuietPlease

...I'm trying to listen.
Database Admin
That PRO-2006 is now only going to be useful for the things that are still conventional, like surrounding counties, fire tone out, US Forest Service, and aircraft. All the State agencies are on the MSWIN, Natchez Trace is P25, with Rangers encrypted most of the time, except for a few hours when Lee County SO takes over for them on dispatch and they run in the clear. There is software in the works for the HP's that I would consider essential to have. You also want to have internet access to update the HP's on a pretty regular basis with the changes we make to the DB information. There is a tad of a learning curve for these new scanners, but once you get the basics down... They are amazing. Get it optimized definitely, and spend a little time learning it so you can help her out with the updates etc. Also, if you can connect with any of our local folks, meet up and work things out in person. )

Actually, Lee 911 dispatches for the NTP after hours. They have a NTP radio. Last I heard, the Rangers are encrypted 24/7. I think maintenance and others are in the clear, but I haven't listened to them in a long time.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Actually, Lee 911 dispatches for the NTP after hours. They have a NTP radio. Last I heard, the Rangers are encrypted 24/7. I think maintenance and others are in the clear, but I haven't listened to them in a long time.

As of last spring, they ran ITC while Lee County dispatched them. That may have changed since then, but we had at least 2 folks monitor and confirm them clear for those few hours. They also still operate in the clear on local County systems when they interop on them, such as Jefferson County. Not sure how they interop with Adams these days, whether its on the North VHF, or the newer VHF Adams has in conjunction with the LTR Passport. :)

nuckinfuts68

Okay...here's the deal. All I have is a phone to use for internet. All computer work done on my mom's scanner is done at my mom's house in Tupelo. I drive for a living so my available hours to be at her house is evenings and weekends. I need help with the Sentinel software. Is there a member in my area that can help me? Call me at 662-687-2183. I will pay them to help me. I am just frustrated and want to get her scanner back functioning the way it was before I messed it up.

WPG

Anybody???? Willing to help?

what are you needing help with?

There are lots of videos on youtube about the software and scanner

search for user K4DPS - he has several videos about programming the scanner without software

and user Uniden Upman - talks about the software

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.