Need input on The best base scaner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmios

I am looking for input and advice on what are the best base scanner antennas. I mount them on the roof of my house and always use Belden 9913 RG8\U cable for about 100 to 125 foot runs. The masts mounted on the roof of our two story home are 15 feet above the roof line and the house is mostly in the open as we live in farm country. I have a new Scantenna ST2 that i will be mounting tomorrow but am looking at the Diamond line for another antenna too. I monitor at the low end aircraft and at the high end trunked systems in the 800 to 900MHz area.

I have a few scanners with the newest being a Uniden BR330T which actually does great with the stock rubber duck antenna from my basement to my surprise, my other scanners are all older banked systems, this is the first new scanner I have bought in 15 years.

I am open to any personal experience and advice. Also one quick question as this is a new house to me and the first that does not have a grounded tower. Should or do I need to run a separate ground wire for the antennas and or antenna mounts.

Thanks in advance

Jim

LarrySC

The first factor to look for is that the antenna is cut for the VHF/UHV/800 bands. Some are not. The Scantenna is, but 800 is weak for rural areas. I've used a splitter and added an 800 only antenna to a scantenna and it worked fine. Each combo of scanner/fittings/coax/antenna is a test. You never know if it will work or not, until its installed. I've had to re-install a few to correct some issues. I'm sure this will happen in your case. THEREFORE, I always install antennas that are EASY to get up and down. Good Luck.

kf4lne

What bands are you intrested in monitoring? Choose an antenna that is optimized for the bands you want to hear. I use a AS MONR33 up about 30 feet and can hear a good portion of the activity in about 5 counties and on good days even some stuff from as far away as Charlotte, NC but I am intrested in listening to VHF-LO, VHF-HI and UHF here and that antenna is optimized for those bands. If you are intrested in monitoring 800MHz systems then choose an 800MHz antenna or if you want to hear mil-air or sat-com choose an antenna optimized for those ranges. it all depends on what you want to hear.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi JC and all,

Guys, thanks for the rule of thumb advice, there is no such thing as a best antenna. No single antenna does it all, the "best" antenna(s) are band specific, generally speaking. Even so there are so many application specific antennas in each category you'll go nuts sorting through them all. It's like asking "What's the best food?" when you have so many foods from so many cultures to choose from, you couldn't taste them all in a lifetime.

As for grounding again you're asking a very ambiguous question. We have no idea about your particular installation so no answers are forthcoming. Notice that so far that question has been ignored? Check out this site http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm download and store for reference, and do your homework. It's quite technical, aimed at broadcast and communications professionals but it's the BEST source for good, solid answers FROM professionals. I'm sure it will give you sound information you can adapt for your particular installation. Frankly I have seen "advice" that can get you killed, go with the pros and be safe.

jcmios

Thanks to all for your replies. I know that there is no one magical antenna that will cover all the bands. I was just looking for a few of the best from others personal experience as I do not have a budget to put up 4 or more antennas. As for the grounding issue I was wondering if it would help reception, I am running one base and one hand held scanner off of these and they are not grounded. I know a direct lightening hit will at the least fry everything, I was wondering more about improving reception and static charges.

Thanks again

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.