• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need install ideas for 2006 F-150 FX4

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithbc

Hello to all:

I have a 2006 F-150 FX4, and am having trouble finding an adequate mounting location. For those that are not familiar with the FX4, the shifter is in the middle console, and the console pretty much takes up any mounting space available. The dash has the indention with a rubber mat lying in it, which will probably end up being where I mount it, however I would like the installation to look clean and professional. Had considered mounting the radio on the driver side of the console but this is a safety hazard due to the display and controls not being within eyesight, and the leg and knee would not appreciate it either.

So, anyone have any ideas? I'm all ears (or eyes, haha).

73's

smithbc

Pictures always help. :)
Also, what kind of radio or scanner are you installing?

I am kind of behind the times in the photo department as I don't own a digital camera. Guess I need to invest in one of those as well. That would probably help you guys out tremendously.

Well, my current radio is a Yaesu FT-1500, but plan on investing in the FT-7900 later on. The 1500 is only a temporary rig in the truck for now until purchase of the 7900. From doing some research, I gather that there is no such thing as a "temporary mobile installation", however an installation of one radio (holes, mounting, and cable routing) may not work with another radio. The mounting brackets and hardware are completely different for both radios. May just have to grit my teeth and make swiss cheese in the dash.

Wish I had some pictures for you.

k1sah

Premium Subscriber
Jotto Desk made a small (3 inches of mounting space) console that replaces the rubber lined tray in that series of F150. I have one for my dash mount Spectra and it's fantastic! I've been meaning to take some pics and post for some time now. I'll do my best to get that done soon so you have some idea what it looks like.

Install was pretty easy... pull the dash trim, unscrew the tray, replace with console.

I just looked on the Jotto Desk site and couldn't find this particular model... I hope it hasn't been discontinued. You might find one used online.

smithbc

Thank you for letting me know about that, I had no idea there was such a design. I will have to do some surfing around and see if I can come up with one, because that would be outstanding.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Ford F-150 Radio Install

Howdy

I have a F-150 4x4 (2007) as well and I 'removed' the 'pop-out' Cigarette tray entirely, and did a slight bit of 'cutting' around the frame / sides of the Console and was able to get one of my RS-2050's in to the slot nicely.

Next, I removed the wood veneer front panel on the Cig tray and used some Velcro to allow it to partially cover the radio when not in use. It does not close completely, but hides the radio from view.

This took a few hours and the tray will not likely be reusable, so thats the down side.

Also, the speaker is a bit harder to hear as inside the vertical console now, but you can always use the MP3 speakers via wiring (I ran up thru the console ensure to the top panel MP3 plug) so gives some options....

Hope this helps...

Thx

Bill

Tech792

2007 F150 4x4

I mounted mine on the front side of the console on a large metal plate. But this won't help you out since my shift is on the column and your console is different. Nice thing about this install is when I remove it, the screw holes won't be visible since they are on the front side of the console.

Attachments

• truck1_1.JPG
    truck1_1.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 11,083

smithbc

That would be the correct console placement. Although, that is a little fancier than mine. This looks like the Golden Standard of F150s, wow. Thank you for posting a pic so folks can see what I'm dealing with.

Still pondering ideas and if anyone knows where I can grab up one of those Jotto Desk consoles (F150 dash mount), feel free to shoot me a message.

Thank you much.

jparks29

John McClane
Jotto Desk made a small (3 inches of mounting space) console that replaces the rubber lined tray in that series of F150. I have one for my dash mount Spectra and it's fantastic! I've been meaning to take some pics and post for some time now. I'll do my best to get that done soon so you have some idea what it looks like.

Install was pretty easy... pull the dash trim, unscrew the tray, replace with console.

I just looked on the Jotto Desk site and couldn't find this particular model... I hope it hasn't been discontinued. You might find one used online.

It has been discontinued.

I have a few left, but they're not cheap.. 200$ ea. ... with choice of your faceplate.

IMG_2157.jpg

smithbc

2006 F-150 radio dash mount

Just asking if you received my last message? If you have a few left, I would like to buy one from you, with faceplate.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.